Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Non-Suicide Emergency Talkline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Non-Suicide Emergency Talkline

I need a non-suicide emergency talk line for those cutting emergencies when I'm freakkkked out and am not thinking rationally and have nowhere/one to turn to-physically.  I need something that can can keep me out of the hospital....having someone to talk to can get me over that threshold.
Are you able to talk to someone in your treatment team who could make arrangements for you to talk to someone/ or suggest someone/ some organisation who you can talk too?

I'm not sure which country you live in but here I access phone counsellors called Good Samaritans.

Because of your situation I would probably talk to someone in your treatment and ask for support options that are helpful to you and which help you retain control of your situation.
Here I would probably call our psychiatric emergency team.  Something similar would give you the support you need but allow you to maintain your independence/ freedom.

Besides finding someone who you can talk too finding distractions during these periods can also help.  Maybe plan these in advance.  Almost like a crisis management plan.
Hi Jaquta.  

I am in Missouri, USA.  Anything that looks like cutting and any call to a hospital or Mental  Health hotline is dangerous here.  It's suicide prevention or nothing.  If you don't have a life-threatening problem, you don't have a problem, so suck it up.  Nobody has the resources to mess with nuts.  So I cut my wrist just deep enough to draw blood all the way across, & it's niiiiice & I liiiiike it & I hope it lasts awhile.  I hope hope hope nobody will rush me off somewhere because I didn't really hurt myself, & I didn't try to kill myself.
And cutting and/ or scratching isn't potentially life-threatening?

If you're serious about wanting help or wanting to stop then it would be good to access some sort of support.
People who have cut have said that ice placed on the wrist can help or drawing on the arm with a red marker.

Any self-harm can potentially lead to suicide or accidental death.

Accessing therapy is a good way forward.

I don't know what to say.  Speaking from experience, self-harm or self-destructive behaviour is incredibly damaging both physically and emotionally.  I think that you need to push for help and when it is offered, don't run.

Have you thought about what it is that causes you to cut?  Thoughts/ feelings/ triggers?
Thank you for your time and concern.  I have cut again, but have also now started drawing with sharpies and sparkly nail polish instead.  I'm making very tentative baby steps.  I'm afraid of alot!  Very thankful to your hand extended, though.
You're welcome.  I think that we do things in our own time.  Fear often holds us back.  I am only just beginning to take small steps in engaging in the world.  Anxiety and depression can rob a person of so much.  I found that I started to avoid everything.  It can become so frustrating when you have these insights but struggle to do anything remotely helpful to resolve the problem.  Often the anxiety just feeds back into itself making things worse.

I'n sorry you've cut again but I think that the important thing is that now you're questioning things, pausing, reflecting and perhaps making better choices.  One small step is sometimes all it takes.  I hope you are able to keep moving forward.  One important thing is not to allow yourself to be defeated by small setbacks.  You can do this. You are doing this.
Congratulations on the progress that you've made to date.