Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Self-injury
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Self-injury

Along with my Borderline Personality Disorder, I have dealt with self-injury. I used to engage in both bruising and cutting as a coping mechanism to handle my emotional pain. I have not self-injured since April, but do occasionally have urges to do so-- especially when dealing with strong emotions.

My question is, if any of you have dealt with cutting / bruising / other forms of self-injury, how did you quit and deal with your urges to self-injure?

Thanks,

Lisa
Related Discussions
That's a tough one.  For me I probably try to turn my mind or to distract with things such as TV, a hot shower, etc.  If things are really bad I will go to bed.

I think in the first instance I will try and work through my feelings and try and understand what has triggered them.
I have regular appointments with my doctor so I may try and communicate the difficulties I am having.  Validation helps.

For cutting I have heard that ice or drawing on yourself with a red marker can help.

I think ultimately things should be worked through with a therapist.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Borderline Personality Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank