Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Staring at privates [OCD]?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Staring at privates [OCD]?

Dear Doctor

I'm 35 married male. I've been struggling with the 'staring at privates'  obsession since my teen ages. To be precise I first noticed this pattern between ages 20-24, then it was only towards females - boobs. Then for some years it seemed to be OK. Now again since the last 4-5 years its back, something seems to have triggered it and now its also towards 'male privates'. I'm confused and hassled to say the least coz its totally 'non sexual' i.e i get no gratification. Besides the social trauma caused because of close relatives, friends and colleagues getting confused by this behaviour. II'd give anything to understand what this is and what triggers this and if its reversible.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
This might sound a little strange but please bear with me. You need to mentally condition yourself to not do this, by training your brain in much the same way one might train a dog. You need to inform everyone you know that whenever they catch you staring at a private part, they need to do something to irritate you (ie. squirt you in the face with a spray bottle, poke you with the needle, smack you in the face etc.). Eventually, your subconscious will make the connection that staring at private parts is bad, and you will stop doing it.
Blank
1647368_tn?1301307294
You sound like an average normal male to me?  ;)
Blank
1661816_tn?1302715190
Try to wear a rubber band on your wrist. Whenever you do it, snap the rubberband. Not enough to really hurt or anything - just a little snap. It conditions your brain to not do the bad habit, & trust me, it works miracles (at least it did for me!).
Blank
This is apparently a normal part of emotional development.
Dr Gould, the former expert on the mental health expert forum, had some good advice about this.

If it is stressing you excessively you should consider seeing a psychotherapist.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Borderline Personality Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...