Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Talking to Myself
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Talking to Myself

I have noticed recently that I am talking to myself a lot more. I have conversations with myself and go through scenarios with other people.

Almost like play acting what the other person says and I reply in my head I am not sure if I am going crazy or not what could be the cause ?
Related Discussions
11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
"Two or more voices commenting on each other" can be one criteria for schizophrenia but only a psychiatrist would be able to make a conclusive diagnosis. Schizophrenia is treatable with antipsychotics. You don't need to think of yourself as "crazy". I have schizoaffective disorder (and have made a full recovery with an antipsychotic agent in Phase II FDA study, read through my posts) and I think of myself as a person with a psychiatric disability. Either way what you are experiencing can be treated and it would be best to speak to a psychiatrist about it.
Blank
I am really not sure what to think I have realise only recently that I have started **** it my wife noticed me muttering under my breath.

I also am not concious I am doing it then realise afterwards I have been going through a scenario with someone. Say for example someone at work if I said the following and what the other person would say back. Almost like going through scenes.

I have only just realised the past few days how crazy this sounds. I go through a scenario and have a negative conclusion and dont feel like contacting that person again so fall out with them. I also go over previous conversations with people and analyse things quite a lot and perhaps see things in a bad or paranoid way.

I am not sure if I have an issue I am under a lot of pressue with my job and figured this could be the problem ?
Blank
I would welcome a reply on my last post from an expert.
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
Post it in the ask a doctor forum.
Blank
how do you do that ?
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
Blank
Sounds to me like you need to consult with a Psychiatrist just to be sure there's no underlieing cause.  But you may be under too much stress. It's pretty normal to talk to yourself. Lots of people do, including me.  I mostly talk to the t.v., or make suggestions to someone on a game show outloud!  Sometimes shout at them!  And I think I'm a pretty normal person.  Unless you start acting out your hostility, I wouldn't think you were "dangerous" but it would not hurt to talk to a professional.  It aways makes one feel pretty good to be "reassured" they're not crazy.   Your insurance should pay for at least 6 sessions.  Get going!  And Good Luck!
Blank
please could you do me a favour every time I go to post on that forum I end up seeing it has reached its daily limit.

Is there any chance someone could post this on for me and post a link would be much appreciated.

I also used to suffer with feeling sick from stress in the past.
Blank
I go through the same thing and it is really worrying me now. I have full on debates and arguments with myself and talk to myself about the things that annoy me and stuff. I also sometime re-enact out things by myself.
Blank
I do the same thing. you are not alone.  I really want to stop.  It's very negative.  I do notice, though, if I am watching something on TV that is of interest to me, or if I am reading a book or actually having a pleasant conversation with someone- like I did this morning with my mother- I stop.  My wife catches me all the time.  I've explained to her and try to get her to understand but I know it concerns her.  I want to stop.  I would also like a mental health professional to respond to this
Blank
I can understand exactly what you are going through. I do the exact same. I have done it ever since I was a kid. But more so now. I also pretend I'm talking to a psychiatrist or a counselor a lot and I say it in a quiet aloud voice, so no one hears me, unless I am alone in the house. I always talk to myself aloud too and sometimes, re-enact a scenario that I made in my head. So don't think you are alone, I do it all the time, I don't know if it's 'Normal' or 'Abnormal' but I think if it's really worrying you, go see a doctor or a psychiatrist :) by the way if you do find out what it is and why we do it, please let me know. I hope you figure it out and that it doesn't bother you as much.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Borderline Personality Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...