Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Thought disorder?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Thought disorder?

I recently split with my boyfriend of over 3 years due to his behaviour.  He has been physically abusive and mentally.  His behaviour goes beyond just jealousy and paranoia and i believe he has some kind of mental health problem.  He has poor social skills and will just say things out of the blue that dont tie up to the conversation, he doesnt realise how out of place these comments are.  He things im belittling him when im not.  He will become really angry and anxious over really trivial things such as someone eating a biscuit he was saving for himself.  His reactions are just not normal. He cannot concentrate on anything i tell him at times and will just switch to something really irrelevant while im telling him something really important.  His chain of thought just doesnt flow and will become upset about something out of the blue that isnt related at all to the current situation. He has had psychotic episodes where the people present were shocked at how hes acted, for instance screaming and crying and tryng to destroy a phone with his teeth.  I have now splt with him but am concerned about him as i feel hes really vunerable and has noone around him that seems to think his behaviour is off.
It does sound like he needs help. Getting him to even realize that could be a real problem. If he does have BPD he can think that everyone else has the problem, not him.
Have you tried writing out a letter to him? Not to confront him but to tell him your concerns. That way you would'nt be talking to him in person and there could be no fighting.
It really sounds like he needs to see a therapist or psychiatrist. They are the ones that could give him a diagnosis and treatment.