Borderline Personality Disorder Community
Treatment options

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

Treatment options

Hi, I was diagnosed almost two years ago and have yet to get any relief. That's mostly my fault because I have a really hard time talking to doctors about it - I've kinda been brainwashed into having to look like the perfect, stable person I guess so it's really hard for me to talk to them, also I get paranoid about them thinking poorly of me, which is ridiculous I know. I'm not even sure if it's really bpd, it might be ptsd, but i won't know til i man up and talk about it i guess.

I was on abilify in the beginning but it didn't seem to be working so after a few months i stopped.

I was just wondering what works for other people and what kind of options are out there. thanks.
It can be hard for some people with bpd to share their thoughts and feelings and experiences with members of their treatment team.
I think this can relate back to our need to be perfect (idealizing) and also a sense of deep inner shame that we can carry.

bpd and complex-ptsd are pretty similar.

From what you wrote in the other post I would also look into bipolar.  I think that people with bpd are more likely to be euphoric vs manic.  Mania is a red flag for bipolar.
It's possible to have both bipolar and bpd (or ptsd or complex-ptsd).

Meds aren't said to work that well for those with bpd.  I think they can be useful at times though (for symptom management, etc).

dbt skills training seems one of the more popular treatments for bpd.  (And is probably effective if it is applied correctly with individual therapy, skills training and phone coaching).

dbt skills training helped me a little but what I found most effective was psychoanalytic psychotherapy.  Intensive therapy 2-3 times per week.

The basic stuff is also helpful.  Sleep, diet, exercise.
thank you. i've heard of dbt and heard it's the best, but i haven't been able to get a new patient appt yet. there aren't too many places offering it yet around here.
They have dbt skills training on the internet.  You could try there in addition to any other support you may be receiving.  I would strongly recommend psychotherapy.

the online dbt class can be found in the yahoo health groups.  It is the only dbtclass, or was when I last checked.
***@****
I didn't think that address would show up.  If you're interested just go through the yahoo health groups and it can be found there.