Borderline Personality Disorder Community
bpd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

bpd

Hi can enyone help me im 100 % sure iv got bpd but i dnt no wot to say to my docter or my therapist iv bin told i got anxiety depression but my life make alot more sense plz help x
I responded on the other post written by inneedofhelp.  Have you looked up the dsm-iv for bpd?  You could always take a copy of that with you to therapy and discuss it there.  I sometimes find it easier to refer back to something or something that someone has said.

Joe Blogs said he thought I might have bpd.
I have read a little about bpd and feel that I have that.  I think that I meet these criteria ...

I don't know.  Just tell them what you think and feel.
Thank you iv done a test online so im goin to take the results in x
That should work.  Some online tests aren't particularly accurate so make sure they don't dismiss your concerns without taking them seriously.

The dsm-iv is like the Bible of psychiatric diagnoses so they may be less likely to dismiss that.  perhaps ask them if they can take you through that or ask them to explain why you are just anxious and depressed and don't have bpd.

I was first diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, then later bpd.  I think that a diagnosis can sometimes be overlooked due to other comorbid complaints (the anxiety and depression).  I expect some doctors don't like labelling patients as having personality disorders either.

Good luck.  Just do what works best for you.  The important thing is just to put it out there.
As Jaquta said, there's a tendency to avoid diagnosing BPD. I watched a friend go through years of hospitalizations, therapy, and med management before the BPD diagnosis, obvious to her and others, was finally given.

A good psychologist/psychiatrist may administer a standard test like the SIDP-IV (Structured Interview for DSM-IV Personality) to evaluate someone for BPD or other PDs. Patient history is also taken into account. For instance, a PD doesn't just appear in someone at age 30. So preparing a bit of past info about yourself, particularly old chart notes from other docs, may also help.

Best of luck.
I think that going prepared is great advice.  I think that your therapist will have a fair bit of shared information but I think that asking and directing someone to look in a different direction, if you feel it is appropriate, can't hurt.

A doctor should have take a full social and medical history at your first assessment.  That doesn't mean that things weren't missed or shouldn't be added as appropriate.
When I told my therapist I fort I had bpd she laffed and said I haven't becoz if I had I wudnt be able to stay in a relationship for a year or hold a job for more then a month witch I have done before but its I'm only 20 and iv had 5 job and I got my first one wen I was 17 and I really cnt stick with them . My therapist just said iv got severe depression and anxity
I think that that is totally unprofessional behaviour from your therapist.  A good therapist should listen to what you have to say and respect it.  To dismiss your concerns without giving them due consideration seems inappropriate.  Therapy is suppose to be a safe place for you to discuss stuff, not be a place where you are laughed at.

I believe that your therapist is wrong.
I think that maybe if your idealised a person then you would be able to stay in a relationship.  Many people with bpd are in relationships and hold down jobs to some degree.  Not sticking to them would be an indicator that you could have bpd.

If I were you I would get a second opinion and preferrably off someone who specialises in bpd or has an interest in it.

Have you seen a psychiatrist recently?  They may be better able to assess this (than your therapist).  Personally I would see someone else entirely.  I have seen a number of therapists who were unable to help me and since having a good therapist I refuse to opt for someone who is likely to do more damage.  You have a right to be heard.  Granted you may not have bpd but they should really work through that with you.
Hi, i was diagnoised with BPD and i have been in a relationship for 14yrs its everyone else i have trouble with in relationships i have no friends or family but my partner has stuck by me althought at times he doesn't help my mental health, so i think your therapist was wrong to say that. Its more then just the inability to form or keep relationships that means you have BPD he needs to look at the whole picture.