Borderline Personality Disorder Community
dealing with spouse with personality disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

My hubby has been diagnosed with psychotic disorder for about 3 years, although I think he has had it for quite some time.  It seems that our communication skills have never been refined.  He gets upset when I ask him to make minor decisions.  For example, food choices is something we argue about daily.  If I suggest something to eat, he gets angry about what I suggested, but if I don't suggest something and tell him to just make the decison, he gets upset about that.  It seems like he just wants to argue about ANYTHING AT ALL no matter how small it is.  I am so frustrated.  I almost feel like he is baiting me so he can have something to yell at me about.  Do you think this is part of his psychotic disorder?
I honestly don't know but it sounds as if he has extreme trouble relating to people. Why not see his psychiatrist with him and discuss how he could learn some coping skills to express himself better. And do understand that psychosis is hard to treat and relating to people often accompanies it so things won't improve completely until treatment advances although antipsychotics that are even more helpful than what they have now are in study (you can read through my posts), knowing that having made a full recover from schizoaffective. It can be frustrating but sometimes mentally people who are psychotic have trouble expressing themselves and relating to people but there are better ways for him to deal with it and have some self awareness about it in the meantime.