Borderline Personality Disorder Community
mental health field - insanity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

mental health field - insanity

The nature of the treatment of mental health patients . Please share the true treatment you have seen over the years , and if you see improvement or decline or a miss diagnosis of the treatment establishment.  I have seen the destruction of myself along with others due to inability of Doctors to listen , and there addiction to the pharmaceutical  companies  . I can not understand why until i had enough to just say NO , to every new drug the drug, the  companies are pushing this week on T V . The rubber stamp doctors that no matter what you tell them already have a drug they were going to give you no matter what you said. I have had such terrible treatment in the last 20 years , not saying that prior to that it was any better , but I am just going to start when I first got clean and sober to be fair. I was treated with Depakote & Effexor for 15 years , and spent a large part of those years in the hospital for suicidal depression , and extreme mania insanity , always to show back up at Dr. Trans office , with the same treatment plan . In 2011 , I had all I could take and demanded to be treated with different meds , as I once was in 1978 , when a doctor  seen me because of the hospitalization of falling while on Lithium and spletting   my head open, Dr.Shore believed I had ADD , and bi polar , and started me on Ritalin for ADD, and Klonipin (klonopin) for mania from bi polar, and for the first time in years , I was free of the cycles and episodes, for over 1 year. In 1979 I started back drinking Alcohol again , and that was that until 1994. I ask for the same treatment plan from Dr.Tran , and after getting 2 other doctors to approve of this plan I went on to have one and a half bi polar free years until for no reason other than her despise , Dr. Tran took me off all bi polar meds and said I no longer had mania problems. In October 1 month from her chance to destroy my life she got her wish come true , I returned in full blown mania , ask to be hospitalized or at least give me meds and was ask to leave, I called again and ask what was i going to do that i was suicidal , and was told i could ask for a different doctor , on December with no one to help me I was put into mental health hospital for the possibility of hurting myself ,  and was put back on my mania meds , and now back to normal once again , can anyone explain why I just spent the last 4 months of my life in hell , and could not get help after 17 years of being seen by this doctor, how for her to try and put her ideas ahead of my safety, I almost lost my life .
In my experience the degree of help you get is based on the professionalism, expertise and understanding of the health professional.

Doctors are human and make mistakes.  These mistakes can come at a huge cost to us.
I would question whether your doctor is burnt out.

I don't know much about bipolar (you might be better off asking someone in the bipolar community forum) but my understanding of mania is that it is psychotic and the person is not in touch with reality.
I'm wondering if a person experiencing mania would ask for, or be able to ask for, admission to hospital.

Just wondering if a differential diagnosis could be borderline personality disorder.

There are serious flaws in our mental health services.  There is a lot of discrimination and misunderstanding.  A lot of health professionals don't get it.  Sometimes I think that it would be hard for people to get it if they hadn't experienced it first hand themself.

I'm sorry you're going through this.  I would strongly recommend psychotherapy to help you work through the trauma and losses in your life.

I would check out the bipolar community forum too.
Hi there.  First and formost I have to agree with everything Jaquata has stated in that reply (I often agree with Jaquata's wise words!).  Whilst I understand it's difficult for Dr's or any professional medical personall to see our illnesses through our eyes, it's part of their job to at least try to see where we are coming from.  If they are assigned to us or somehow they come to be our 'key' workers then one would automatically assume they ARE the correct person for the job.  However in saying that and going by my own unplesant experiances, many are really NOT the correct person to be in charge of our care.  Sadly because of the nature of our disorders/illnesses, if we happen to feel the need to voice our opinions along the lines of a complaint against those 'in charge' we are generally either not believed or called psychotic!!!!!  This is where the system fails, often because we are not listened to properly, I know to my cost.  It's taken me more than 30 years to get official diagnosis for my borderline personality disorder, 30 years of hell for me and my family, 30 years of in-patient and out-patient and 30 years of self medicating by the wrong means.  I've shouted and begged to be listened to, told and re-told Dr's and Psych Dr's that I thought I had bi-polar.  All a sickening waste of life that I'll never get back ,yet only two years ago was I officially diagnosed borderline and only 4 months ago was I given what I know to be the correct meds for me!!!!!  Yes I'd sure call this a disgusting failier of the system and I'm not alone, sadly not alone.  I've been through many so called specialist/expert medics who I had no choice but to report to, apparently my choice was to go to the designated person or go without.  I've gone to these people KNOWING they had something 'personal' against me, have openly shown dislike to me, yet I had no choice at the time.  No, I can assure you this was NOT my imagination, how come since official diagnosis these medics are falling over themselves to help me!!!!  They SHOULD have listened and they know it.  So yes, big mistakes are made out there and people, no matter what their job make mistakes.  Folks, you must keep batting for your side because there is help somewhere for you.  Sites like this can really help and provide support but I guess diagnosis is down to a phyical visit to Dr's and Psych Dr's, nothing can change that.  Thirty years ago my disorder was not really understood and certainly not treated, so in view of that I'm not bitter.  I'm glad that things are so much more out in the open now, more research into these disorders etc, better by far I'd say.  I'm in the UK so I'm speaking of what's happening in the UK.  Take care folks.  x
Thanks waggiedog!!  I think that it's wise to acknowledge others experiences but also to take a step back ourselves and test the validity of what is said.  Sometimes we trust too much and that can be damaging.  Often we need to trust ourselves, our thoughts, feelings and experiences more.  I like reading others perspectives and insights.  It can open a whole new way of looking at things.
Someone once told me to take what works and to throw out what doesn't.

I guess in some respects doctors and keyworkers are much the same as strangers, although in positions of power and trust.  In the real world we won't be good fits with everybody we meet or talk too.
Funny how I just assume that every health professional I come into contact with will understand.

Your comment about complaints was interesting.  Last year I had this experience with a doctor who wrote to all the higher authorities at the hospital to say that if I complained about my care it was due to my pathology.  It was so devaluing and demeaning.  I think it's wrong to assume that systems are infallible and that the fault always lies with the person with bpd.

You often end up either choosing to be in treatment that you know by experience makes you worse or choosing to walk away in which case you are left to take responsibility for your own health care.  It's either your fault or your responsibility.

I personally would have liked to have seen interventions at an early age.  These problems didn't just occur.  The health care system should be able to address the issues though when they are brought to their attention.

My understanding is that bpd has only really gotten much attention since the 1980's.