Borderline Personality Disorder Community
newbie

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

newbie

Hi I'm a 42 year old BPD sufferer, just finished 2 years of therapy but still struggling from time to time. I wasn't diagnosed until 4 years ago, was anyone else diagnosed so late in life. I'm a newbie here so would like to make some friends :)
Hi there.  I'm having a big problem trying to leave a message to darren66634.  So far I've written three responsis and none have been posted, can anyone tell me why?  I'm 53 (female), live in the UK and was only officially diagnosed two years ago but have been suffering terribly for 30 years.  My Dr is really not happy about treating me saying that borderliners have a 'bad reputation' and don't respond to treatment.  However the Dr has passed me over to a Psych Dr who reluctantly decided to offer treatment by way of mood stablisers and in the future DBT.  There are no support groups where I live in S E London and apparently very few fellow sufferers.  Finding this site with a place especially for BPD is extremely comforting and supportive.  I'd like darren to consider becoming 'friends' here.  X
You are not alone!  Lots of borderlines are misdiagnosed and don't get an accurate diagnosis until late in life.  I was in my late 30's when I got "the label," though I'd known something was "different" about me since my early teens.  

Because many borderlines have comorbid conditions riding along with them, professionals sometimes only see the anxiety or depression, or substance abuse, eating disorder, OCD, narcissitic or antisocial tendencies, and miss the real issue that's underlying and causing the other problems.

I look at my journey kind of like "recovery" -- I've been labeled "high functioning" and released from treatement, but I go back periodically, I still journal intermittently, and I still seek out new books and treatment ideas to keep improving my management skills because for me, I'm not "cured" so I'm never really finished trying to get better in the way I live and deal with BPD to have the healthies, happiest life possible.
I didn't even know I was BPD until I was 70 !. Up until about 20 years ago all BPD was classed as untreatable so it was treated like bi polar. I was in this class of untreatable patients. I was put on all the bi polar meds one at a time and of course they didn't work.
As I now understand we must, live and learn to continue to learn all our lives to be healthy. Learning to be happy is the key.
I'm 41 and was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I have yet to find a therapist who has a clue what to do with BPD.  At this point, the only hope I have is reaching out and finding others who understand.  I hope to chat more with you guys.  
What is DBT? What kind of mood stabilizers are you taking and does it help with your symptoms?
darren66634,

Your words are brief, but most sufferers of BPD struggle a lot more than from "time to time".

BPD does not respond quickly to treatment, it seems very unlikely you would get a massive benefit with just 2 years of therapy.

I am just saying your case seems unusual.
I was diagnosed when I was 32. I have been in therapy for the last 4 years and still suffer from time to time. I continue to take my DBT classed and get support from family and friends. I go day to day. That's the best I can do. Hold your head up. It gets better with time.