Borderline Personality Disorder Community
relationship with therapist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

relationship with therapist

I feel like I have so much to talk to my therapist about, but when I'm at my appt., it is hard for me to tell her everything.  It is like I feel awkward, but I don't know why.  I really like her and have been seeing her for a couple of years.  Sometimes I feel like I'm too attached to her.....like I get mad when she cancels my appts., thinking she really doesn't care.  I don't now why I need to feel like she cares...I know she has alot of patients...I always feel like I'm counting the days until I can see her.  I just feel like she is the only one who understands me, but I don't want to expect an unrealistic relationship from her because in reality it is just her job.  Does anyone else feel this way?
it is completely normal for someone with borderline personality disorder to mad and "like she doesn't care" it is all just apart of the disorder. If my therapist is late a million thoughts run through my head like what did i do wrong he doesnt like me anymore and tons of other thoughts. what i do is i make a list of everything i want to talk about i carry a journal and write everything i want to tell him and them at my appointment with him he reminds me to go over the stuff in my journal because i would always forget what i suggest you do is get a journal and tell your therapist to remind you to go over what you wrote down there is still stuff i always forget but i tell him most of the stuff i wanted to
Good post response zenji..... Probally something as simple as Transference Working with the same therapist for over two years is great but if you are doing Good Work sometimes bad feelings come up. It's called Client tranference and it can have mixed states of benifits and also slow the recovery process. The first things first is to shed light on things, talk about it stop keeping secrets from your therapist.
   By with-holding this information you guys are not working with the truth. There are many ways to bring up feelings to a therapist. My favorite was ....I would tell my therapist that before I left therapy I was going to tell her something important BUT we would not discuss it til next week........
Try it It might work for you if not come up with more creative ways of bringings up but always keep yourself safe and make sure your therapist is on board with your choices.

Let us know how things went..you can pm me if you would like
Thanks for your response...that's a great idea to keep a journal.
Thanks for your response.  I will have to look more into Transference and Client transference.  I have never heard of the before.  I am new to all this posting stuff, what does pm mean?
The journal is a good idea and I have tried that...the problem with me still remains that I really don't think anyone cares nor does anyone get it.  People keep telling me I'm making things harder than they need to be - but that's not what I see/feel.  also, if you are feeling your therapist/psychiatrist doesn't care, it makes it hard er to tell them things that you are either embarrassed about or things that hurt you.  The continued end result is that you get no where...and in my case...people think i"m not trying.  that just tends to drive me into a depression because I'm trying what I can...what I have strength to try...just maddening.