Borderline Personality Disorder Community
terrified of dying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger, anxiety, caregiver support, depression, emotions, fears, living with BPD, relationships, and violence.

terrified of dying

recently I have become obsessed with thinking about dying. I dont know why I started thinking about it, or how i got this obsessed. I dont want to harm myself, but I just end up crying so much and start thinking Im going to die. I do suffer from panic dissorder and think the worst all the time, but its only been the past month or so this obsession with death has come about.
I do have a medical issue at the moment that could have triggered my anxiety levels to fire up, doctor has not yet diagnosed me and this is causing some stress as Im always thinking it could be cancer, something Im terrified of dying from.
does anyone have similar feelings/ obsessions about death or am I going crazy.
Yes part of anxiety disorder can be obsessions with death or illness. It is good to follow up on what your doctor suggested but discuss with them what they think is wrong so you can stay informed but not have phobias about it. Besides medication talk therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy work on ocd or obsessions from anxiety disorder.
hi, i was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and struggled with panic problems and anxiety for years without medication or treatment. I know what your feeling about the dying stuff. I now know and you have to try to remember that ONES BIGGEST FEAR IS SIMPLY FEAR ITSELF.  you are okay and you will be okay. i know its hard and i know that you feel like your the only one thinking all these things that seem 'crazy' but its just a stage. its great that your talking about it and try to find something every day that you can feel greatful for, even small things, and maybe even try to make someone else's day better, give a stranger a smile. the small things can make you feel better. rememeber you are in control, what your afraid of is the FEELINGS that make you think you are dying, not actually dying because you OKAY.
I worry about death too, and sometimes it's overwhelming. The best thing I can do to directly address the problem is to pray and remind myself that God will take care of me after I die. I'm not sure how, but if he can create the universe, then he can take care of me. I recommend talk to a local minister or priest - they work with people with depression about death. I also recommend talking to a doctor about finding an anti-depressant that works for you. A lot of people take them, and it helps them. Third, spend your time with people - find activities to do that you think are worthwhile.
Hi, johnchin, I wrote some words in a related topic ( http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Fear-of-mortality/show/329343 ) and maybe they can help you. Here they are:

"For my part, I can say that this feeling of depletion of the meaning of life due death also happend to me. What I found most strange was the fact that death is a taboo topic and had the impression that there was an elephant (a brontosaurus, perhaps) in the middle of the room and despite all the discomfort caused by this huge animal, no one had courage to mention it! Later I realized that people who do not speak or do not think about death are equally (or more) panicked then I. They only have found in religion a placebo  (with all due respect to believers) that satisfies them. But this placebo is highly dangerous today, because there is evidence that allow us to believe that something can be done in relation to aging (http://goo.gl/RHXJ) and even death (http://goo.gl/9LQk and http://youtu.be/FZZ1esiWMuM). But in their striving to gain psychological comfort moving away the idea of death, people give up seeking a real and objective solution to the problem of death.

With transhumanist ideas I found the attitude which I'm convinced now is the healthiest and most courageous: instead of putting my head in a hole and pretend things are fine, try to do objectively something (like http://goo.gl/iSguP) about this unpleasant aspect of human existence. I do recommend the movie "Transcendent Man", which approaches well the question of death. This approach (transhumanism) can actually work with people more scientifically demanding, who are not satisfied simply with religious beliefs or philosophical rationalizations. Life becomes an adventure, a game, a bet."

Best wishes,
Cesar
Thank you! It is nice to know I am not alone and the way you described it is exactly how I feel. When I was younger I was obsessed with death, but now as an adult (40) I have struggled with the obsession of me dying on and off for about 13 years. Sometimes I feel like I am absolutely nuts in the head and I want to scream at the top of my lungs to make the thoughts go away, block them out. I desperately want to feel normal and happy and not always be on guard of every little thing. I also have anxiety disorder. Your post just made me feel a calm at peace feeling in the middle of a panick attack. Again, Thank you!