Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Abnormal Behaviour

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

Abnormal Behaviour

My 6 year old daughter has been expressing abnormal anger, crying terribly aloud and even attacking, though mildly, after every week or so, when things of her choice are not purchased there & then she has been showing this behavior since around last 9 months.
Now, she even lacks concentration in her studies, though she's a regular school goer & behaves otherwise normally at school. Even she sleeps well during night and does not having any sleeping disorder.Her father is a bipolar patient since long.
I just wanted to know that is it a case of bipolar disorder and if it is then how can we control her or is there any permanent treatment for her.
From last nine months, she has taken Sodium Valproate Oral Solution (approx. 13 bottles till now) under medical advice but there is not much relief.
Also, I had read some article on Internet that there is a product called EFALEX which is helpful to control mood disorder, but in my country, this product is not available (or may be available by some other name). So, can you just guide me that is this product really helpful and what is the medical name of the product (or chemical formulation).

Also, is there any test which enable us to know about her mental condition. Does she require to undergo tests like
a) NARCO ANALYSIS
b) EEG
c) MRI
d) CT Scan etc
to diagnose bipolar disorder and could the above described ailment be treated successfully, speedily and once for all.

Hi Natiey and thanks so much for your question.

Regarding your question The causes of bipolar disorder have not yet been determined yet; however, it looks like genetics  play a major role. Approximately 90% of people diagnosed with bipolar disorder have a family history of either bipolar or depression. However, this does NOT necessarily mean that someone with such a family history will inherit the genetic predisposition of the disease, or if they do, it will eventually develop into symptoms. The inheritance of bipolar disorder is not simple - it involves many genes, some of which are still being discovered and researched. Again your child may be overreacting and there may not be any link to bipolar disorder but it is important that you find the routes for this behavior. I would suggest you a book called "Understand the mind of your bipolar child" Gregory Lombardo MD and again i am NOT saying that your kid has it but it is important that you get the most professional advice.

To your question it looks your kid is really adopting an expressive behavior but many kids do. In my area of research I have seen children with special needs and bipolar children improve significantly with physical exercise especially cardiovascular exercise and complex movements.
One of the main psychiatrists I have been working with Dr Gregory Lombardo MD and expert in Bipolar disorder he said this about physical exercise

PROFESSIONAL ENDORSEMENT, GREGORY LOMBARDO, MD Dr Lombardo is board certified in adult, child and adolescent psychiatry and is a diplomate of the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology. He is the author of "Understanding the mind of your bipolar child"According to Dr Lombardo,

The benefits of implementing physical exercise especially Michael's program Super Body, Super Brain may fall into three major groups:

3.1Motor Skills: Motor skills refers to the abilities which involve the use of hands, develop over time, starting with primitive gestures such as grabbing at objects to more precise activities that involve precise hand-eye coordination. Fine motor skills are skills that involve a refined use of the small muscles controlling the hand, fingers, and thumb. The development of these skills allows one to be able to complete tasks such as writing, drawing, and buttoning. SUPER BODY, SUPER BRAIN incorporates an active use of motor skills. The importance of exercising balance and coordination may help improve children's brain functioning in the following areas: attention, memory, multitasking, spatial memory and decision-making. For example raising heels and arms at the same time will improve kids’ attention and multitasking skills. This could correlate to listening to the teacher and writing in a piece of paper)

3.2 Psychiatric Benefits and Benefits in Academic FunctionImproving children’s brain functioning through specific exercise movements.Regarding brain functioning, it is important to refer to the cerebellum, the area of the brain responsible for voluntary physical movement is connected by neurons to all parts of the cortex, the area of the brain responsible for higher order thinking.  Nearly 80 studies have suggested a strong link between the movement and memory, spatial perception, language, attention, emotion, nonverbal cues, and decision-making (Jensen, 1998).A number of studies also indicate that children suffering from even subtle forms of Bipolar Disorder have difficulties integrating the cognitive function of the left with the right hemisphere. This is also thought to be true for children with dyslexia and dysgraphia, conditions that powerfully affect a child’s scholastic function and their self-esteem.An essential feature of SUPER BODY, SUPER BRAIN is to improve the integration of motor activity carried on between the left and right hemisphere. This cannot help but improve problems with visual integration and with fine motor coordination and sensory-motor coordination, yielding improvement is some children’s reading and writing (both in the sense of handwriting and in the sense of composition).

3.3 Cardiovascular BenefitsCardiovascular benefits seen with any regular aerobic exercise are particularly important in school age children.Among children Type II Diabetes caused by decreased physical activity and poor nutrition leading to obesity has reached epidemic proportions. When a child experiences improper weight gain (because of larger amounts of circulating growth hormone) the child increases the number of fat cells rather than their size (as is the case with adults). Consequently, hyper-cellular obesity is especially hard to reverse later on in life. SUPER BODY, SUPER BRAIN improves cardiovascular function and glucose metabolism while a child is focused on another goal, removing the burden of shame that can accompany explicit attempts at weight management