Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Back pain at moment, (muscle i think), tightness in chest just started ...

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

Back pain at moment, (muscle i think), tightness in chest just started during exercise

I have felt twinges in my lower back for about a week now, yesterday i stepped out of my house and turned whilst holding my bike, i felt my lower spine lock, ( felt like a chinese burn was being applied). I have woke upthis monrning and the pain is constant, sometimes agony when slightl;y twisting my back or reaching out) i beleive this is just muscle sprain. The main question ( though possibly realted to eachother) is that over the last few months my general fitness seems to be suffering. I would say over the last week i have experienced 2 occasions whilst cycling home from work when my chest seems to get tighter and it seems my breaths are less. When breathing in this sometimes feels like a belt is being applied slightly. I gos after a while of resting.

History

I smoke about 6-10 hand rolled cigerates a day, cycle 15 miles a day and run about after my child at night after work so consider myself quite fit. My daughter came homefrom nursey about 4 weeks ago with a cold, after i caught it, ( suffering for 3-4 days with loads of catarh in morning totally blocking me up, constantly blowing my nose and bringing it up of my chest it seemed to clear,) since then i have noticed i get out of bretah more than usual, during exersice my muscles feel like they do normally, just my breathing. I have bought to your attention the back pains,, (just in case they linked), I am slighly underweight last time i saw a doctor, could i be coming down with asthma, only thing i can think of
Hi Paul thanks so much for your question. From what you are describing it sounds like you had a lower back sprain that sometimes comes with neuromuscular cramps. I remember that once I had a sprain in the cervicals that was accompanied with a slight hernia in the opposite side at the same level of the heart! In other words when you experience an isolated pull in some section of tour body normally comes with some dysfunction in other parts of your body. This are likely to be temporary though. My recommendation is:
Stretch. Lie down on the floor and bring both knees to tour chest and breath.
Second stretch. Lie down face  down and with both hands on Bo sides of your waist push slightly your upper body to a point where you are looking at the ceiling.

Regarding to your second part of your question I agree with you that your fitness level may not be as great as you thought. No matter how much you bike and run you need to add strength training, physical condition to your routine that will enable a great muscle fiber distribution. I have a featured article at this site with three simples moves. Remember that the less strong your muscles are the more your heart needs to work raising blood pressure and increasing the breathing pattern to perform the same amount of exercise. If you still feel pain in your chest you should check with your doctor that every thing is ok I hope t was helpful and feel free to ask me if ou have any more doubts and try to stop smoking if you can since smoking affects proper lung functioning
I also experienced that! Last Monday and Tuesday I played badminton, and like him my chest seems to get tighter and it seems my breaths are less. When breathing in this sometimes feels like a belt is being applied slightly. I gos after a while of resting.

and now I have a fever, headache and body pains. That's why I started drinking paracetamol as what our school doctor has prescribed me. But everytime I drink water it tastes bitter. Is it normal?
Thanks Jonathan for your question, regarding your symptoms I see that constantly. It is really important that you add a proper strength training program with a progressive core program that will help your cardiovascular system to not be out of breath. Remember the stronger your muscles are the better for your heart, your blood pressure and your physical conditioning. Think of any sports player they have specific strength training programs that help them enable perform better at the field. Now to your remark of fever and body pains is not normal make sure you ***** a proper diagnose and be patient with a progressive strength training program and don't forget about proper flexibility and by the way badminton is a great physical sport