Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Body shape or body weight?

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

Body shape or body weight?

Everyone thinks that my body is okay but the scale does not agree. I weigh 55.6Kg and I am 192cm tall. What must I do to gain 12Kg?
Tags: Weight gain, weight gainer, body shave vs body weight
Hi there and thanks so much for posting this question! To your question yes you can probably add more kilos to have a better proportion of body shape. Body shape is extremely important since you need to have an appropriate percentage of muscle vs fat and sometimes too skinny it is not an indicator of healthy at all. Having said this I am not saying that you are too skinny since you will need to take other measurements such as waist hip ratio and how much muscle mass you have in proportion to your body.

To your question what you want is to gain effectively muscle mass increasing progressive the ingest of calories around 20% extra till you achieve the ideal weight. However notice that these extra calories can not be from sugars, sweets or junk food. ideally it should come from the low glycemic index foods (low sugars) and increase in protein. Speed up your metabolism by increasing the times your are ingesting food and maybe you are looking at 5-6 meals of 300-500 cal each. For a better idea of what suits to you, you may want to consult to a nutritionist for safely increase of weight and calories.

In addition reduce slightly and safely your cardio sessions and increase progressively your weight lifting up to 12 repetitions maximum intensity in large muscle groups.  Then when you achieve that ideal weight you can stabilize and stay in a maintenance period that would be a combination between your new and last program. In fitness a program to gain weight is much more complicated than a program to reduce weight but I agree with you that you could maybe add 7-8 kilos and see how you feel. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding your program and let me know how is it working for you.
Thanks for your question