Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Brain injury

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

Brain injury

Today when I was in sport we had tackling session and I bumped my head then after that somebody kicked football on my head what should I do?
Head Injuries in Sports by Michael Gonzalez-Wallace

Thanks so much for your great question! As an ex pro athlete I hear your concern and I just wanted to share some important information. Head injuries, including concussions are extremely important to be taken seriously.

In the first part of your question clearly that is the one that concerns me the most since most of the injuries happen when someone tackles you and you are not expecting it. In other words your neuromuscular system is not in alert and that can cause trauma. Not sure if when you mention you "bumped your head what do you refer to? did you fall down? If that is the case that is not normal since when you fall normally your hands and your reflexive and sensory system protects our head and internal organs of getting injured. However if you say that you feel and your head bumped first the ground that means that something didn't go as planned and my recommendation is to see a doctor asap.

Regarding the second part of your question I am a huge soccer fan and you can see how many times that someone would kick a ball on someone's head and normally nothing happens but it is not as dangerous as an “unexpected tackle” also in the area between the middle back and the head where most of the spinal cord injuries happen.

As an ex pro and I think you and me we share the same vision regarding of our physical body.  We know our bodies like a map: we know when are feeling great, slow, fast, awake, strong so in my humble opinion if you feel that you need to do  quick check up I think you should really do it just to make sure everything is fine. Sometimes some internal bleeding happens and depending of this bleeding you may experience symptoms right away or few hours after

Extra Information:

Concussions
According to an article from the New York Times

“Contrary to popular belief, a concussion is not a bruise to the brain caused by hitting a hard surface. Indeed, no physical swelling or bleeding is usually seen on radiological scans. The injury generally occurs when the head either accelerates rapidly and then is stopped, or is spun rapidly.
This violent shaking To read more click copy and paste here http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/index.html

I hope you are well!