Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Growth(height) question

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

Growth(height) question

Hi I am a 15 year old male. My current height is 5' 8. I compare short to most people at school and athletics. My dad is only 5' 11", my mom is 5' 4"  and I want to know if there is anything I can do to increase my height naturally and be taller than that over time. I'm healthy and fit and already do a lot of stretching. Is there any thing else?
Thanks in advance.
Hi there and thanks so much for your question! Did you know that strength training can add few inches to your height?  Regarding to that specific question I wish I had a clear answer to your question. Unfortunately there are many factors associated to our height.

The rate of growth in males varies from male to male. Some males don't stop growing until they are 19, and for some males it is even older. It really all just depends on a the males hormones

Research and evidence is supporting more and more that generations tend to be taller than the previous ones. In practical terms my Dad is 174 cm and I am 183 cm so normally current generations surpass previous generation but sometimes it is not the case and remember that males tend to grow up to 18 years old

I want to try to help you understand how we are getting taller as a society with this reflection from a Professor in Scientific American

Michael J. Dougherty, assistant director and senior staff biologist at Biological Sciences Curriculum Study in Colorado Springs, Col.

"In fact, over the last 150 years the average height of people in industrialized nations has increased approximately 10 centimeters (about four inches).
Most geneticists believe that the improvement in childhood nutrition has been the most important factor in allowing humans to increase so dramatically in stature". to read more copy and paste the following link

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-are-we-getting-taller

My recommendation is to get as much sleep as possible keep stretching also upside down (not for too long though) since in that position your vertebrae can stretch throughout your spine and increase. Then keep eating healthy and stay away of lifting heave weights, that can influence your final height.

I hope this helps and you have a wonderful day!