Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
PLEASE HELP!???

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

PLEASE HELP!???

Hello my name is Travis. I am 21 years old and have been experiencing very scary symptoms for the past couple years now. Every time i hit a strong bump in the road or do anything that send a vibration through my body up to my head i feel a sharp  pain on the sides of the back of my head. Anything from making a tackle in football or punching a heavy bag or even biting down on a hard piece of candy will trigger the pain that im feeling. I have noticed that if i hit my jaw not even hard even if i merely tap it i feel the pain or if i hit the back sides of my head with my hands i also feel the pain. Its not like im sitting there pounding myself in the jaw and head i don't use a lot of force and it still triggers the pain so i def know its not normal. I can literally just tap the back sides of my head with my palms and i feel the pain. If i had to pick a spot were im feeling the pain it would be in the back sides of my head. It almost feels like my brain is bruised in that area? But idk if thats possible or if it is why it wouldn't show up on the mri of my brain.  Ive been to a neurologist and had an mri of my spine and head done and both came back normal. The only thing that came back alarming was that i have fibromyalgia. Because this came back in my blood work the neurologist diagnosed me with chronic fatigue syndrome and said that's the problem. I don't know were else to turn and it amazes me that even biting down on hard candy can aggravate whatever it is that is bothering me. I must add that i sometimes get a burning and pinds and needles sensation on my arms and shoulders witch is very irritating to me. I dont know if thats because of the fibromyalgia or if its a nerve problem wich may be the cause of the head pain. A response will be GREATLY appreciated Thank you
Hi there Travis and thanks so much for posting this question.

Please feel free to post in Internal medicine or Neurology Forum but I will give you my opinion.
According to your symptoms you may have some swelling or infections that needs to be localized. You should go to a doctor and check with a Neurologist and see if there is any swelling, infection or blood clots then you should check with a dentist. Cavities or gum disease can really affect swelling of the gums and can cause that whenever you have a bump or move the head in a certain way you may feel that there is an infection. I kknow you haven’t mentioned it but just go to your local dentist and do a traditional check up. I have had problems with my teeth and gums and I can remember pretty well those times where I had some gum swelling and then would feel like my head was about to explode!

In any case your description could be some swelling I would recommend you do more moderate exercises and see if you feel the same or the symptoms disappear.

On a side note some of the symptoms they can refer to “swollen lymph nodes” although you should really check with your neurologist. If he hasn’t seen it , it is really unlikely that you have that although I am going to share some information from the Mayo clinic
Swollen lymph nodes usually occur as a result of exposure to a bacteria or virus. Less commonly, swollen lymph nodes are caused by cancer.
Your lymph nodes, also called lymph glands, play a vital role in your body's ability to fight off viruses, bacteria and other causes of illnesses. Common areas where you might notice swollen lymph nodes include your neck, under your chin, in your armpits and in your groin.

Keep reading here http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swollen-lymph-nodes/DS00880

Armitage JO. Approach to the patient with lymphadenopathy and splenomegaly. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/224582198-6/0/1492/0.html. Accessed Oct. 29, 2010.
Fletcher RH. Evaluation of peripheral lymphadenopathy in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.