Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Started exercising but I have lower stomach pains. Help?

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

I am 16 and recently started exercising with my volleyball team. We have been doing P90X, weights, pull-ups, abs, and lots of running. However, lately I've been having lower stomach pains. I feel that maybe I'm hungry, but the pain is still there. I've also noticed I'm not eating as much, but maybe that has to deal with the exercise? I'm not quite sure if this is normal, but I wanted to see anyways.
Tags: P90X, to use P90X 4xs within a week, volleyball, Hernia, abdominal hernia, abdominal strain, stomach pains, high impact exercise, anaerobic, plyometric, tony horton, tony horton p90x
Hi there and thanks so much for your question! Yes P90X it is a very popular program designed by the popular fitness Trainer Tony Horton.

Me as an ex athlete I have always expressed interest in new ways of physical exercise and when trying the program I could see that P90X could be beneficial for specific audiences with extensive athletic background otherwise I would strongly not recommend it unless you combine it with other sorts of exercise programs. What you are experiencing it may be an internal strain of the rectus abdominus that is in other words the abdominal wall. This intense movements can cause in fitness what is popular of a hernia.

Strengthening your abs can prevent or contain a hernia, but too much intra-abdominal pressure from ab exercises can make a hernia worse.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/166946-hernia-abdominal-exercises/#ixzz1xVRcv100

What I am not clear is that if you feel hungry it may be that you are consuming the sufficient amount of calories for the designed exercise program since high impact exercise programs will deplete your glycogen stores ( burning muscle). It is not bad but I would lower the intensity or combine with other sorts of mild strength training exercises. ( You can check my program in youtube)

My recommendation will be to do extensive stretching, light moves that put no pressure and stay away from pull ups or push ups till improves. Failure of listening to your body may result to a worsen condition.

I hope this helps!

you have this pain because of the ab work outs.  you are starting to get absand thats why you have the pain.  i went throught the same thing its totally normal its good that it hurts even though you it doesnt feel like it . you are hungry because your body is not getting enough nutrients make sure to portion your meals and drink 8 eight ounce glasses a day of water. so its not bad that you are eating less but dont starve yourself.
hope this helps