Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
Step climbing

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

Step climbing

What are your thoughts on step climbing .. a few years ago I would go up 189 steps and down 189 steps every day ...10 times .....it was good exercise and interesting if you get a chance go climb the steps in Santa Monica off Adelaide drive  CA not only will you meet a few stars' but wow you will have the best legs muscles ..I did this for 2 years I think it became a compulsive exercise ..so my question is can one become addicted to exercising ..?

Step climbing and exercise addiction by Michael Gonzalez-Wallace

Thanks so much for your wonderful question! In response to  your first question it really sounds like that is a phenomenal plan and I am going to tell you why: step climbing is excellent for strength, cardiovascular and the brain. My only concern may be regarding joints biomechanics: Climbing up will target your buttocks, quads, core, hamstrings but climbing down may produce some knee dysfunction like tendinitis. In other words that is a phenomenal exercise routine as long as you combine it with others forms of physical strength. In addition what I like is that you are so precise with the count 189 up and down! Our brain needs to feel accomplished, energized and also needs structure and the 189 is a great plan!

In regards to your second part of the question absolutely! I consider myself an addict to moderate exercise not strenuous but just right. The fact is that when we exercise our brain starts producing powerful chemicals in our brain called endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine among others check out this article at The New England Journal of Medicine: "Physical Conditioning Facilitates the Exercise-Induced Secretion of Beta-Endorphin and Beta-Lipotropin in Women" http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198109033051006

However let me raise a concern: it is clear that exercising can become a bad addiction if we are absolutely obsessed, we exercise more than three hours a day and also if affect us on a different level like stop socializing or even going to work! and unfortunaltey this happens! Exercise addiction is not currently included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV).

What I know for sure is that If don’t exercise it affects my physical and mental state so exercise for me is as important as eating or brushing my teeth.

I hope this answer was helpful!