Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
alz/demetia

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

alz/demetia

as my mom and grandmother have both had this it scares me to think i can.

i try and stay busy and try and learn something everyday. i take vitiams and walk 20-30 mins a day .
is there anything elsa i can be doing to ward this off or slow it down, my mom got it at 64 i take care of her now not a easy job. her mother didnt get it till in her late 80. what are my chances now.

thank you for your time

Alzheimer, genetics and exercise

Thanks so much for posting this fascinating question. Regarding your concern right now there is not a clear conclusion on how Alzheimer's develops genetically but the more we know about this devastating disease the more genetics play an important part. I am directing you to what the National Institute of Health is suggesting regarding genetics: http://www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Publications/geneticsfs.htm

On a side note I want to share a different approach with you. I have been researching and collaborating with different scientists, experts in the disease and my program just got awarded a grant for Parkinson disease.  Alzheimer's affects a really important structure of the brain called the hippocampus, area responsible for short term memory. The latest studies are showing the aerobic activity can enhance and create new neurons in this specific section of the brain in a process called neurogenesis. You should check this great study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1838482/

In other words in the case you are predisposed genetically your lifestyle clearly makes a huge impact in the delay for the disease and not only learning but cardiovascular activity should be in the top of your list also don't forget in adding some motor learning when you move meaning that in the same way we can learn mentally you should activate and engage as many areas of the brain in a process called neuroplasticity like multitasking different body movements.
On a last note don't forget the impact of a healthy nutrition on your brain since more cases are reported showing a high correlation between cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer's.
This comment is only for informational purposes only and should never replace a visit to your physician. I hope this was helpful
thank you so much for your time and the great info you have gave me i will be checking the sites out and doing more of what you have suggested. i will do all i can to help slow this down , if i get into my late 80 its ok so going try to hold it off, my mom got around 64 to early in life to go throught this  and as i am 52 its right around the corner . i hope at 64 i can come back on here and say its working so far am still here in mind. GOD Bless you for helping others like me.