Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
multiple concussions

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

multiple concussions

I am 43 yrs old I suffered 5 major concussions from the time I was 16 to 30.  One of which resulted in a skull fracture when i was about 25. I have not felt right since this one. I probably had another 10 or so that i did not lose conciousness. There is very little information out there about the effects of multiple concussions.  Here are some of the symptoms I struggle with:
-diziness,foggy head
-major depression and anxiety disorder
-extreme fatigue
-ringing in the ears
-periodic double vision
-lack of motivation
-trouble staying focused
-sensitive to loud noise and certain light conditions
-memory problems
-headaches daily
-every time I eat I feel sick to my stomach (doesnt matter what I eat)
Although it has been a while since my last concussion, these conditions seem to be getting worse as I get older.  My wife said she has seen a substantial change in my personality and behaviours in the last 5 years.  I am very concerned about what the future might hold for me.  I have had an MRI.  There was no scar tissue found however the neurologist said that there was some mild atrophy.  Is there any insight you can give me on this topic?  Also, are there any articles I can find online to read?  Thank you for your time.
Tags: multiple concussoin, brain traumatic injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, stress maangement, neurophyisiology, Anxiety Disorder
First I want to tell you that I am not a Neurologist but treat and work with people with concussions.

Feel free to post at the Neurology Forum as well. Although you have mentioned that you have seen a doctor please keep working with your local practitioner till you are in the right track.

I am sorry to hear about the multiple concussions to your head. How did that happen? Playing football? I am asking you this question because most of the research is based on players playing football and the effects of multiple concussions.  Sounds like you had multiple of them and in each one you should have checked with your local practicioner and address the cause of that concussion.
However the symptoms you describe they are not that uncommon. You did the right action by visiting the doctor as soon as possible and test for swelling, for clots or similar. However it is really important that you have taken action and write down the different symptoms and I know that are of your concern.

Good news for you? It is really possible that by engaging in targeted medical therapy it could help  diminish those symptoms such as physical movement, psychotherapy and meditation for stress management.

In addition visiting a Neuropsychologist would be highly recommended as well. In other words you are looking for an integrated medical approach involving important fields for brain function such as exercise, stress management and meditation. In addition you may know about the plasticity of the brain and the brain’s capacity for rewiring and building new connections. That is why is important to find the right medical integrated approach for your condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBckH4373Zk

Lets speak a little about
A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury that is caused by an impact to the head or body, a fall, or another injury that jars or shakes the brain inside the skull. Although there may be cuts or bruises on the head or face, there may be no other visible signs of a brain injury.

However you may want to pay attention to Post-concussion syndrome, also known as postconcussive syndrome or PCS, and historically called shell shock,[1] is a set of symptoms that may continue for weeks, months, or occasionally a year or more after a concussion – a mild form of traumatic brain injury (

When you bang your head you need to think what happens when you drop your phone or a computer to the floor, it may still work but maybe with some dysfunctionality in your case are the headaches that normally they will improve after few weeks although in some case it is resorted that a consistent migraines are persistent after hitting the head.

I would to worry about the blood pressure since that difference it is not significant and can be because of some foods or even some anxiety or stress.

I would try to incorporate meditation twice a day. Sit down in a quiet place and breathe 50 times making sure you inhale and exhale only focusing in your breathing. That will favor blood circulation to different parts of the brain and reduced stress and anxiety. (Meditation)

Then try to go for a fast 15 minute walk while you are concentrating when breathing monitor if your headaches improve or not.

Finally I will recommend that you add some targeted movements to favor some more circulation and bran activity integrating several brain regions:

-Raise Opposite arm and leg, 20 times and change
-From a standing position raise one leg and keep it raised for 30 seconds
-Last and finally start tapping your feet at the time you are clapping overhead.

All these exercises involve risk so make sure you are safe to do the exercises first and ask your doctor you should do the exercises really mild.  The reason why I am prosing them to to you it is because sometimes we need some targeted movements and breathing exercises that helps blood circulation and brain activity
I hope this helps!

Long-term electrophysiological changes in athletes with a history of multiple concussions

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02699050701426931

Cumulative effect of councussion
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673675902883

Head Injuries and the Everyday Athlete
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/does-a-long-ago-head-injury-pose-risks-for-the-everyday-athlete/