uncrontroled head movement
Hi I am a reasonably healthy 54 yr old woman for the last 2 yr my family has noticed my head shaking up and down when i am watching TV just sitting and listening to conversation and also i feel it while laying in bed watching TV what could this be and what should I do about it
Hi there and thanks so much for posting this interesting question. There is not an easy response since it can go from nothing really serious to Tourette Syndrome or Parkinson. My guess is that if you ar just doing it when watching TV probaly you are developing a slight subconscious behavior that can get fixed. I have worked with several patients that had tics and many of them stopped having them. The most important is for you to raise awareness. This tics happens sometimes when the brain is concentrated in something else (like watching TV) and the subconscious circuits start implementing a repetitive and erratic behavior. I would suggest to be aware when that happens and stop doing it or like many other experts say substitute it with another behavior like closing your fist or similar. My take is that if this is not serious (you should really get checked in any case just to be safe)  to increase your self awareness and try to control that movement. Meditation can help and exercise as well to improve your self awareness. Here are a couple of few exercises that you can implement http://www.medhelp.org/neurology/slideshows/12-Ways-to-Boost-Your-Brain-Power/351/13

Thanks for your question!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.