Brain & Body Fitness Expert Forum
why arms feel funny

Welcome to the Brain and Body Fitness Forum: Where Neuroscience Meets Physical Training. This forum is for questions, support and advice related to how the brain controls your body through motor and sensory networks. This forum will provide information related to motor function, sensory networks, balance, coordination and physical training.

why arms feel funny

Sometimes when I run uphill, some very steep altitude gains, in the beginning my arms feel funny, like they are losing oxygen or blood.  It's not pain, it's not numbness, but a weird ache like all the blood is rushing out of them.  I'm sure it has to do with all the blood going to my hamstrings and glutes so they can push me up the hill.  But I don't know any of my friends that have this sensation.  Just wondering if it's unusual, should I worry?  And what is happening when I feel this way?
Hi there and thanks so much for posting this question

From your description i would check with your local practitioner and check your vital signals including blood pressure, cardiovascular system body weight and so on. People with poor cardiovascular system tend to experience some collateral symptom when comes to poor circulation system.

In addition and again you should check with your local practitioner be aware that stroke symptoms in woman they may appear as numbness in your arms among other that i include:

Symptoms of heart attack in women

Most heart attacks start slowly with mild pain or discomfort. Here are the symptoms of heart attack in women:

Shortness of breath. May occur with or without chest discomfort.
Nausea and light-headedness
Flu-like symptoms, including chills and cold sweats
Heart palpitations
Chest discomfort (angina): pain, tightness or pressure in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back
Discomfort in other areas, including pain or discomfort in: one or both arms (especially the left arm), the back, between the shoulder blades, neck, jaw or stomach
Heartburn or indigestion
Extreme fatigue
http://www.womentowomen.com/heartdiseaseandstroke/symptoms.aspx

As a side note in the case you are perfectly fine you may want to consider to increase your muscle endurance in your arms that will help you develop more strength and a more effective muscle fiber distribution.
Try this exercise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkxNwyWP9U