Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
6 mm cystic microadenoma at the left lateral aspect of the pituitary gl...

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

6 mm cystic microadenoma at the left lateral aspect of the pituitary gland.

I had a brain mri done because I  been having very bad headaches, it showed I had a 6 mm cystic microadenoma at the left lateral aspect of the pituitary gland. What problems does this cause? Can it cause headaches??
Dear Lauren21985

Most of the time a 6mm cystic lesion in the pituitary gland causes no symptoms. Rarely it can be a source of headaches. When the headaches are caused by pituitary cysts, they usually are daily and have a occipital projection (back of the head).
Other symptoms can be present if the cyst is a functional adenoma. In this situation hormones are produced by the tumor and they cause changes in the body. These changes are related to Cushing's disease, acromegaly, prolactinemia (milk production etc).