Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Adrenalin and cortisol

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Adrenalin and cortisol

I had a pituitary macro adenoma (acromegaly) removed at UPMC in 2005 with Gamma Knife follow-up in 2006.  In 2008, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and in 2010, had a T12 compression fracture.  I am doing remarkably well, all things considered, and have joined the YMCA, where I go to exercise 5 days a week.
I take Cortef, 10 mg 3 times a day, in addition to Stalevo, Requip,and Azilect for the PD, and D3 plus calcium for the osteoporosis.  Zoloft and B12 complete the regimen.
Here is my question:
Because I exercise for 2 hours when I go to the Y, do I need extra hydrocortisone?  
My routine is 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer, 30 minutes on the stationary bike, and 45 minutes treadmill.  I expend 500-600 calories, according to the machine readouts.
At age 61, is this too much stress on my adrenals?
I am trying to lose some of the weight I gained when I was in a back brace and immobile....
Your thoughts, please.
Bonnie
Dear Havin_aball

I think you are getting cortisol enough. It actually seams to be a little to much. You should discuss with your endocrinologist the possibility of decreasing it a little. There is always need for increase the dose if you get sick, but exercises should not be a real problem.