Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Arachnoid cyst

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Arachnoid cyst
My 23 year old son , a 3rd year BA student in Graphic design had a CT Brain (uncontrasted) on the 28/04/2011.  
The described findings says that the followings:

<<>>

My son has problem of concentration, anger burst, issue with trust, etc..... to describe few.
I would like to know if this can be helped ?   Will a surgery be needed ?  How can I help my son before things go out of hand ?    Please help....
Dear Sarah449

I am not sure what happened but I don't see any description of the Ct. I just see the signs <> in my screen. Can you please load it again.  
Thank you
Dear Dr Daniel Prevedello,

I am not sure what happened but the CT Brain description is as follows.  It says that there is a triangular shaped CSF space between the bodies of the lateral ventricles. It shows slight mass effect on the fornices and inferior displacement of the internal cerebral veins. On the sagittal images slight superior displacement of the posterior part of the corpus callosum is seen.  There is subtle prominence of the lateral ventricles.  The 3rd ventricle is displaced antero, inferiority and is normal.  The 4th ventricle is normal.  The basal cisterns are patent. The surface sulcal markings are normal. There are no focal parenchymal abnormalities. There is no midline shift.  There are dystrophic type calcifications of the pineal gland, the choroid plexuses and along the falx cerebri.  The pituitary fossa is normal. The cerebellum and the CP angles are normal. No abnormalities of the orbits seen.  The paranasal sinuses are normal. There is deviation of the nasal septum towards the left. No base of skull abnormalities.  
On the Comment it says that the described findings would fit with a cavum velum interpositum. It is usually asymptomatic but patient could present with headache.  The differential includes an arachnoid cyst.
Dear Doctor Daniel, the above is the description and comment of the CT Brain.  Thank you. Sarah.
I would like an advice or a solution if there is a possibility, please. I have an arachnoid cyst of third ventricle for which I have had two surgeries of fenestration cyst but, which, were not succesfuly. There is 1 year since I have had last surgery and I am still having headaches and they are worse and worse. The fact is that I will try to do an Mri again to see how this is in this moment and the dimensions of it. I mention that my doctor told me about the posibility to implant a shunt(drainage tube) but I am not sure I wish this. I`ve heared that this is worse because is producing too many infections. What is your opinion? What should I do and what riscs I have if I am staing with these headaches? Could I send you some photos of my last mri?
Thankyou very much!

Lavy
Dear Sarah449,

based on your description it sounds like a binign septum interpositum, which is just variation of normal. That means still normal.

If you want I can take a look at the imaging free of charge just to make sure. It is always difficult for us to based our interpretation on somebody else's interpretation.

Dear Lavysnd,

Please send your imaging to my address and I will review it free of charge.

thank you

Daniel M. Prevedello, M.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Neurological Surgery
Director, Minimally Invasive Cranial Surgery Program
The Ohio State University
N-1011 Doan Hall
410 W. 10th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210-1240
Phone: (614) 293-7190
Fax: (614) 293-4281
Thankyou very much!

Lavysnd
I could send the pictures from the MRI and to email if you have one?

Thank you!

Greetings Dr Daniel M Prevedello,

Will it be possible for me to send the Power Point Presentation of the CT Scan through email if you have one ?  Thank you.
Yes, you can send it to my email: ***@****

I would like to send it to your email but the address given is not appearing on the message.  It reads as  ***@****

Is there another way to access this email address you gave ?

Thank you.
I have the same problem :(

Thank you!
Interesting!

I will do a space around "@" so you can see it:

daniel.prevedello @ osumc.edu

Thank you

daniel.prevedello @ osumc.edu

Thank you