Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Can a Pituitary Tumor return after having surgery to remove it

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

My sister had a pituitary tumor back in the late 80's and went to see a specialist in Evanston, IL.  They now are thinking it might have returned.  Can that be possible?
Dear js4857,

Pituitary tumors can return statistically around 10% of the cases when a complete resection was performed or remission was obtained for functional tumors.
They do need periodic follow up due to this chance of recurrence factor.

Thank you
I am a patient like yourself. I has mine return too - and know several people who had theirs return, sadly.
Pituitary patients should have some sort of monitoring by blood tests and an MRI once in a while (depending on history) for the rest of their lives. Depending on the type of tumor, the risk of it returning differs. For instance, I had two separate types of tumors - prolactinoma and Cushing's. My prolactinoma did not grow back but my Cushing's tumor did.

I hope your sister sees a great neuro-endo and has a wonder, very very experienced neuro-surgeon (as in more than 500 surgeries). Experience makes for a better/best outcome in surgery (unless the anatomy of the tumor is complex).
thank you for your comment.  i sent you another message and not sure i posted it correct.  hope you receive it.
I only see what is above - but I do hope all turns out OK for your sister.
I have high prolactin as in prolactinoma an taking parodel and it makes ne sick very bad taking UT from 09on and off that pill makes me real sick that I can't work gives me panicattacks si I stop am in a new meds bow called Norprolac they says he works better so for on its way better only have stuffy nose at night an due for a orolactin blood test in a week hoping and praying this pill is working.  . Silo u know that pill anyone?