Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Can pituitary tumor return??

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Can pituitary tumor return??

Can pituitary tumor return after no treatment was given? I had pituitary tumor about 6 years ago and it went away on its own. It was pituitary microadenoma. After 3 years of follow up I was told I didn't need any more follow up being it was gone. Now 6 years later,there is a possibility that it has return. I went for a yearly eye exam but this time I had visual field test, the results changed from 6 years ago and now suspects that the pituitary tumor returned. I have some peripherial vision problem. Is there treatment without surgery or surgery is the best option? How can a pituitary adenoma return?
Dear gp35

I have to agree 100% with rumpled. The tumor could have been there during these years. They can be hard to see in regular MRIs.
When they are small the only formal indication for surgery is if the tumor secrets, meaning functional. If it is large and pushing on thE optic nerves, then the treatment is surgery unless it is a prolactinoma that can be treated by medication.
Was your previous doctor a pituitary specialist? Were you tested for all types of tumors? Were your scan dynamic (contrast given during the MRI not pulled out to give it) as that shows smaller lesions?

During your annual exams, what blood tests were done?

A tumor without treatment can return (sometimes with!). I am only a layman but I had a couple of pituitary tumors myself - but one of my tumors hid for 12 years and only showed up when a pituitary center did a proper dynamic scan. So your tumor may have always been there?

Treatments all depend on the type of tumor and that can only be determined by lab testing. I hope you see a good neuro-endo and get the lab testing you need (get copies!) so the type of tumor is determined, and from there, the proper treatment can be discussed with your doctor.