Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Carbegoline intake till what time

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Carbegoline intake till what time

My daughter now aged 27yrs. has been on cabergoline 0.5mg bi weekly for the last around nine years now from micorprolactinoma . she stopped taking pills 3years back, but her periods stopped in aorund a year with prolactin level rise. Again put of the same dose for the last aloomost 4 years. now getting married.her prolactin level is very much within limits.her weight is around 68Kg. at 5.00Ft. height.
the endo says to continue with the drug as this is a verysafe drug and in pregnencey even one can take this safely.
I am in a fix as to what to do? cna nay expert guide meon this.
Dear Mansgl

Most studies point Cabergoline to be relatively safe during pregnancy. However, most endocrinologists still transfer patients to bromocriptine during pregnancy since it is a medication that has been around longer and it has better data related to safety during pregnancy.
This is a controversial issue in the literature. Some neurosurgeons recommend surgery in this situations so the tumor can be removed and there is a possibility the medication can be stopped. Of course there are cases of invasive tumor that this is not an option.  
I am not an expert but a fellow patient.

The medication serves to suppress the action of the tumor and allows it to shrink. So if it works, like it does with most people - you have to stay on it forever to prevent the tumor from growing as well as the other side effects from the tumor.

You can also consult a pharmacist and ask them about the medication.
I really appreciate your comments. earlier my endo had suggested that before marriage, he would be discontinuing the medicine. since the drug has been taken for more than 5 years with (MRI done on 03/07/2007)  report stating " small focal lesion in anterior lobe of pituitary gland on right side measuing 4.2mmx2.6mm appearing hypointense in T1W with differential enhancement on post ontrast study". My only contetnion if the medicine is really required or not. I look forward to your expert comments.
thanks and regards
Not really necessary. most women need the medication to get pregnant, since high levels of prolactin inhibits ovulation.
If you can get pregnant without the dopamine agonist you could try to go through pregnancy with no medication, at least in the first trimester.
I am thankful to you for your advice. If my daughters get prgenant or her prolactin level remain within the prescribed range without even getting pregnant, Can the medicine  be stopped? If  the prolactin level is  monitered every month and her cycle remains regular and does not gain weight as well.
Absolutely. As long as it is monitored it is no problem.

Thank you
I really appriciate your expert advice and many thanks for your time and comments.
My pleasure