Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Do Pituitary tumors just disappear?

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Do Pituitary tumors just disappear?

In 2007 I was diagnosed with having a Pituitary tumor / microadenoma.   I didn't take any treatment.  Basically, did blood tests to watch my prolactin levels.  Two weeks ago, my prolactin levels had increased and I was scheduled for an MRI.   Yesterday the results came in and no microadenoma present or seen on the MRI.   I don't understand.  Can a pitutiary tumor just disappear?  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Dear Chrisdoc9270

I agree with Rumpled, She is an expert.

Furthermore, I have seen 3Tesla MRI with more artefacts than the 1.5 tesla MRIs for pituitary gland. That happens because of the air in the sphenoid sinus. Bottom line: you should have it repeated in a 1.5 tesla MRI with dynamic protocol. It may still be there.

Having said that: I did have a good number of patients with lesions in the pituitary gland that disappeared. Usually the tumor suffers apoplexy (infarct or bleeding) and dies. But it needs to be well evaluated before that conclusion.

All I do know is that hormones are crazy and that if your prolactin went down on its own it would make sense that it shrunk. The meds are supposed to control your prolactin and hopefully shrink the tumor so it would make sense.  
Was it a proper pituitary MRI? Was it done dynamically with a experienced tech?

You did not indicate the size of the tumor in 2007 but smaller tumors can *fall between the slices*, the radiologist can miss them or they can change.

From my own experience, my prolactin levels were elevated, and then went down to normal but a dynamic MRI finally picked it up. When I had surgery (for a different secreting pituitary tumor), that tumor was confirmed to be a prolactinoma. But it only showed up on one of maybe 12 MRIs total.

Other hormones can elevate prolactin as well such as thyroid - so make sure you still get a good hormone check.