Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Hair Changing Color in Some Areas - Pituitary related?

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

This is going to be an odd question, but here goes:

I am a natural redhead, but a couple of years ago, I started noticing that I was growing some black hairs in the pubic region. Just a clump of jet black hair in an area of otherwise red hair. A few months after that, I noticed that, if I let the hair in my armpits grow, some of them have been black, as well.

I hate going to the doctor, so have not been to find out what could be causing this, or even if I should be concerned about it. However, I wonder if it could be somehow pituitary-related?

Has anyone here heard of such a thing happening? I can't really find anything on the internet about hair suddenly changing color unless it's to gray, or after a bone marrow transplant, which I have never had done. I haven't even ever had a blood transfusion.

I am 45 years old, female, and have had my left ovary removed when I had a dermoid cyst the size of a cantaloupe removed. I don't really know what other information give, so I will just tell a few more things about myself.

I have had insomnia since I was a teenager. I get migraines several times a year. I am anemic, as are almost all of my family members (mom and sister have to have iron infusions, and mom has to have blood transfusions once or twice a year). I had meningitis when I was a child.

Thank you in advance!
Dear avonelleRed

You should always start with your family doctor.
thank you

I forgot to mention that I am tired all of the time, have had some speech problems in the past few years, where I feel like I am talking over myself, if you know what I mean - I seem to talk so fast that I trip over my tongue, or words won't come out right from my mouth even though they are fine when I am thinking them. I try to slow myself down, but it doesn't help much. My mouth feels dry all of the time, but I
have never had a problem with blood sugar in the past, even though I have had dry mouth for many years, and have been tested for diabetes before.

Sorry, computer keeps messing up, so my post got cut in half.
Dear AvonelleRed,

I am not sure what would be the explanation. I would recommend for you to see your family doctor in order to examine you and also possibly check your blood work.
thank you
Thank you, Dr. Prevedello. I figured I wouldn't get any real answers on the internet, but it was worth trying. It's just so bizarre, and odd to me that I cannot find out anything about it.

You are right, I do need to go ahead and just get checked. To be honest, it's been some years since I have even been to a doctor, so I am well overdue for a physical and such anyway.

I am just wondering - if my family doctor can't help, do you know what type of specialist I should see for something like this?

Thank you again.
Perhaps an endocrinologist!

thank you