Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Meningioma and Levothyroxin(levothyroxine)

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

My SO was diagnosed with a medial sphenoid wing meningioma (skull base) causing visual disturbance in 1998. The same year she underwent debulking at Duke Medical Center (about 50% of tumor resected) and in 2000 received 30 FSR treatments at Johns Hopkins. The residual tumor has remained stable since that time.

She recently was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and prescribed levothyroxin (levothyroxine) to treat the condition. Because a fair amount of research exists that suggests that elevated levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone may lead to meningioma growth or recurrence, she is concerned that increasing her thyroid hormone levels could possibly trigger growth with her residual tumor and has decided not to take the prescribed levothyroxin (levothyroxine).

Can you please tell me if any credible evidence exists that suggests that thyroid hormone could play a role in meningioma growth? I've found a single abstract that is relevant to this question but am not sure what it means:

Expression of thyroid hormone receptors in intracranial meningiomas:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12926518

I would very much appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide me on this topic, because I'm concerned about possible long-term consequences of her hypothyroidism.

Thank you.
dear MacJ

Excellent question. ! Meningiomas and other tumors may have multiple receptors for different substances and  hormones. However, there is no indication that hormonal replacement on normal levels will induce any tumor growth. The same question often happens when dealing with craniopharyngiomas in young patients. Should we replace growth hormone in these kids? craniopharyngiomas have receptors for GH. The answer is yes, as long as it is replacement on normal levels.
It is more important to have normal levels of thyroid hormone than the chance of tumor growth.