Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
My prolactin levels high, but no symptoms??? HELP Plz

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Hi;

A month ago I went to the doctor because I finally wanted answers as to why I was not having monthly cycles for a year since I have been off birth control. To begin with, I was given bcp's because of my cycles, and it worked, but only artificially causing the cycles.

So, last month I had a blood draw that revealed that the only thing out of wack was my prolactin levels which are at like 450 ng/mL! Yes, four hundred and fifty. She said that was crazy. But what has stumped her and the obgyn I just visited was that its that high but i have absolutely NO other symptoms of it being an adenoma.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, if I am prescribed something, do I have to take it for the rest of my life, or just until after I have children? I would prefer to figure this out a natural way if possible

Thanks sooooo much :)
Dear teambella

With a prolactin above 200, a pituitary MRI is indicated. Bromocriptine or dostinex are the medical treatment. Most people have to take for life, but some people are able to stop the medication after a couple of years on treatment.

If the tumor is large and causing compressing of important structures and medications is causing side effects and/or not shrinking the tumor, then surgery is indicated.