Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Pineal tumor removed vision and hormone?

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

I had Pineal Tumor (Pineocytoma) removed 5 years ago.   My symptoms  were, mood/anger, racing heart, dizzy, and then the final indicator was I lost my vision during and exercise class.  Finally the hospital did an  MRI, the found severe hydrocephalus and the Pineal tumor, it was about the size of a walnut.  I had the surgery, when I was out of surgery,  My eyes felt like they were on fire/or bleeding (but they weren't)  and I could not see.   My vision gradually came back, I have a visual field loss in the upper left of my left eye and upper left of my right eye.  Since then I have felt that a lot of things were still off, especially my vision, I can not tolerate bright sunlight or glare, things like a parking lot full of cars, and grocery isle (especially cereal isle) it makes me feel like I am going to puke, and ceiling fans are awful.  Other problems are,   I can fall asleep, but it takes hours, and then I wake up about 2-3 hours later.  I also feel  that my endocrine/hormone system has been damaged.     Last week I saw a Neuro-Ophthalmologist,   He found  that I have exophoria, and a moderate convergence, and prescribed glasses with prisms, I also have two different size pupils, and the pupils do not react to light and dark, they stay the same all the time, but they did not say the medical terminology for that,  or exactly what area of my brain is damaged to cause this.   I just want to feel better.
Dear nomorepineal.

The area around the pineal gland is very sensitive. The mesencephalum is very closed to the pineal and controls the pupils and eye movements. The vision center is also near by in the occipital lobes. They were probably affected by the tumor.