Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Pituitary adenoma

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Pituitary adenoma
Dear Dr.

what is the difference in MRI and CT scan in checking a Pituitary adenoma

is the use of contrast necessary?

thank you.
If you read other posts here, you will see this has been commented on. CTs are typically not used for pituitary lesions as they don't show up (unless it is huge).

MRI is the standard and there is a protocol in place called "dynamic" which requires the use of contrast. The images are recorded while the contrast is given so that smaller lesions can be seen. It is important to know that your imaging facility is skilled in doing pituitary MRI as in my experience, I have been told I was getting a proper pituitary MRI but I know I did not (I have been getting them for years so even as a patient, I now know).

Unless the patient is allergic or has a medical condition that prohibits the use of contrast, it should be used.

I hope this helps.
thanks, I didn't think of checking older posts.

I just know that Gadolinium is best to avoid it can give permanent renal failure!
I agree with Rumpled,
The MRI is the gold standard method in order to investigate pituitary adenomas. Contrast is needed and the dynamic protocol is only necessary for small pituitary microadenomas. A regular pituitary protocol MRI is enough most of the time in order to diagnose a pituitary adenoma.
Gadolinium is the contrast used in MRIs and it is very safe on people with normal renal function.

Thank you

Thank you!