Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Pituitary adenoma
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pituitary adenoma

Dear Dr.

what is the difference in MRI and CT scan in checking a Pituitary adenoma

is the use of contrast necessary?

thank you.
4 Comments
Blank
657231_tn?1390151580
If you read other posts here, you will see this has been commented on. CTs are typically not used for pituitary lesions as they don't show up (unless it is huge).

MRI is the standard and there is a protocol in place called "dynamic" which requires the use of contrast. The images are recorded while the contrast is given so that smaller lesions can be seen. It is important to know that your imaging facility is skilled in doing pituitary MRI as in my experience, I have been told I was getting a proper pituitary MRI but I know I did not (I have been getting them for years so even as a patient, I now know).

Unless the patient is allergic or has a medical condition that prohibits the use of contrast, it should be used.

I hope this helps.
Blank
2143641_tn?1396681743
thanks, I didn't think of checking older posts.

I just know that Gadolinium is best to avoid it can give permanent renal failure!
Blank
1382849_tn?1337552730
I agree with Rumpled,
The MRI is the gold standard method in order to investigate pituitary adenomas. Contrast is needed and the dynamic protocol is only necessary for small pituitary microadenomas. A regular pituitary protocol MRI is enough most of the time in order to diagnose a pituitary adenoma.
Gadolinium is the contrast used in MRIs and it is very safe on people with normal renal function.

Thank you

Blank
2143641_tn?1396681743
Thank you!
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979