Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Pituitary problems

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Pituitary problems

Hi im new to the forum please excuse me if I post in the wrong place I have a lot of endocrine problems hyperthyroidism hypopituitarism hyperprolactinemia also asthma pernicious anemia suspected coeliac disease also all my aunties uncles grandma have autoimmune diseases oh and I have chronic back pain I would just like to ask if the reason I have these health problems could be due to 10 years on codeine my consultant says no but how can he be so sure he says he suspects a small pituitary tumour however my mri was clear so im confused my prolactin levels were around 2000 but now are 30 I am on cabergoline I am worried I am causing the problem and scaref to carry on with pain meds any advice would be great as I cant get to see the consultant for 2 months
Dear worrywartforever

The fact that you had a prolactin level around 2000 proves that you had a prolactinoma. I agree with Rumpled and often these benign tumors are not seen in the MRI. The treatment for prolactinomas is dopamine agonists like you are already doing taking cabergoline.
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
There is also a patient forum (brain & pituitary tumors).

Just because you have a clear MRI does not mean one is not there. Was the MRI a dynamic pituitary MRI? By that I mean did you get it with and without contrast, and did you get the contrast when you in the machine, or were you pulled out? If pulled out, it was not the correct protocol. Even so, MRIs have a 3mm slice and tumors can fall between those slices, or a radiologist can simply miss it. I don't know how many of my friends have *normal* MRIs and then a surgeon reads the film to find something.

That being said, your testing shows issues. I am only a layman (and a pituitary patient) myself but given your level, I would find another doctor, and make sure that you get a thorough set of testing not only of the pituitary but of the thyroid and other hormones as prolactin can be raised by other hormones.

I cannot really comment on the pain meds - but given the 10 years on meds, I would see if you can find someone to get you off them, and know that some tumors can cause extreme pain. Pituitary tumors also can cause or contribute to the other health issues that you mentioned. Make sure you read up, get a pituitary expert - a neuro-endo, and get copies of your tests.
Thank you for your comments still haven't seen the consultant but waiting for a call as at the moment I feel quite unwell everything is a struggle my body is just so tired and I am not sure how much longer I can go on feeling like this