Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Pituitary tumor - optic nerve

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Pituitary tumor - optic nerve

Dr. Prevedello,  It is my hope I never meet you; however, the MRI results are due April 8-9 and will be the deciding factor.  The opthamologist reports my eyes are extremely healthy as is the optic nerve - as much as he can see.  He suspects a pituitary tumor is pressing on the optic nerve near the chiasm.  If there is a tumor, my suspect is that it would be a non-functioning tumor.  If I would live like a pirate with one eye closed, my vision would indeed be impaired.  With two eyes on the road there is no impairment.  I have researched your professional profile, experience,  and your preferred endonasal surgical procedure.  Other than surgery, do you ever prescribe raditation or pharmaceuticals to shrink the tumor?  Thanks for your time.
Hi EasterDoll,

Thank you for trusting us. We have a great team,

Thank you
As a fellow pit patient - I have some advice. Please find a pituitary center with a competent neuro-endo.

While the MRI can tell you the size and location, it cannot tell you the type (and it should not be guessed). You need to get several sets of testing to determine if you have a type of tumor that can respond to medication in which case, any normal competent neuro-endo would start you on the medications to see if that would shrink the tumor before they suggest surgery.

In general, medications are tried first if they are available and it is appropriate (such as there are new meds out for Cushing's but they cannot be taken by everyone), then surgery, then radiation.

I would get to a pituitary center ASAP to start the testing and set up the treatment that you need. Best of luck to you!
Thank you for the response.  My self-diagnosis only --the tumor is presenting as a non-functioning macroadenoma.  There are no symptoms other than the compromised peripherial vision.  In fact, the tumor was discovered during a routine vision exam.  However, I agree with your advice and will certainly heed your words.
A lot of symptoms are subtle - or things people don't think are symptoms. I had things like not sleeping well, acne, not healing, no libido, fatigue etc.

Non-functioning tumors need to be treated ASAP.
Again, thank you for posting.  I already have an appointment to discuss the MRI results and treatment with Dr. Prevedello.
Excellent!
Dr. Prevedello is like sprinkles on a hot fudge sundae.  THE BEST.  Tumor is out, recovery is underway, vision is coming back.  If anyone out there has access to Ohio State University, please consider Dr. Daniel Prevedello as your neurosurgeon.
I have met him myself... a few of my friends used him for surgery and had very happy results too!
Glad you had a wonderful outcome!