Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Prolactinoma Magically Went Away????

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Prolactinoma Magically Went Away????

I have had a prolactinoma since 2005, which has grown over time.  My prolactin levels were also abnormal, so i was on bromocriptine.  An mri done in 2008 showed normal prolactin levels even though i was no longer on the bromocriptine, so the doctor did not refill the prescription for this medication.  however, the tumor still grew, but the doctor said it was not at a dangerous level.  Then in 2010, i had another mri, with contrast like all the others, done at a different radiology center, and they said the tumor is gone, and all that shows is a tiny lipoma and some normal brain aging.  I will be 50 next year, and am probably in menopause.  my question is, can a prolactinoma magically disappear like that.  by the way, my prolactin levels are still normal, but i am still leaking milk from the breasts.  also, i have severe dry eye and corneal erosion, and i see very blurry in the left eye.  i see an eye doctor for this, but i am trying to make a connection.  is it possible that what was once the prolactinoma is now the lipoma, and that it is pressing on my eye?  or is it possible that the radiology center i went to in 2010 didn't know what they were doing?  i have no money nor insurance now, so i am able to get a free mri through a charitable organization, because of suspected MS.  i hope they will find some answers.  but my question is, can a prolactinoma magically disappear like that?
Dear tryingtobehopeful

The answer is that pituitary tumors can suffer an infarct or bleeding, which is called apoplexy and it actually can die and disappear.
On the other hand, if you have breast discharge, than you should have your prolactin levels retested under dilution. Rarely very high levels of prolactin are not detected on the normal test, and only after dilution it is.
thank you so much for your help..