Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Teenager with GH deficiency? HELP!

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Teenager with GH deficiency? HELP!
I am a 15 year old teenage boy who has been dealing with chronic headaches, fatigue, and brain fog for about 3.5 years. I also have occasional joint pain alongside lower back and neck stiffness. I have been unable to gain any weight and have very little appetite. My endocrinologist recently tested me for IGF-1, along with various other hormones.
My IGF-1 came back 137. The range is 237 - 996.

Strangely, I have grown perfectly well. I am almost 6'0 tall and appear even older than I actually am. Is it possible that the low IGF-1 is causing my symptoms?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!!!
Dear ipad135

It could be; however, it is important to have a complete pituitary hormonal panel before any conclusion here.

Low GH and consequent low IGF-1 can be related to decreased quality of life and some aches.

If other pituitary hormones are also decreased then a pituitary MRI is recommended in my opinion.

thank you