Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Unusual lump, no apparent cause

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Unusual lump, no apparent cause
I wasn't certain as to which category this fell under so I guessed here. I woke up this morning with a stiff neck, which is not unusual. It is unusual for the pain to persist throughout the day. Further examination of the area (felt with fingertips) showed a bump about the size of a quarter at the base of my skull on the left side. I didn't injure myself there in any way, but it feels similar to the bump one gets on their head after hitting something hard. It's tender and sore when I turn my head too far to the right, or put any pressure on the area, like a bruise. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Dear Mbrevig,

It is not easy to try any diagnosis without seeing you or examining you. The goal of this forum is to give orientation. You need to see a physician, it can be your family doctor. He will talk to you and perform a physical examination. The doctor will decide if further investigation is necessary.