Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
Very frustrated

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Very frustrated

I'm 44 years old diagnosed 6 months ago with a meningioma in the ant, falx. 1.2cmx1.5cmx1.2 Found because I went to the er thinking I was having a stroke or heart attack. Dr. thought I was having focal seizures but eeg says no seizure activity. I have daily episodes of feeling kind of "out of it" slowed motion feeling, left sided numbness(mostly face and arm), I have had some twitching in face and other muscles at times, I get a pulsating feeling in my neck and fingertips. Ive had a sleep study done and determined that I have flapping and put on CPAP 5%. Also that I have an average of 19 sleep disturbances per hr--not sure if this was just from the flapping cause I have a lot of twitching and jerking throughout the night. I also have what I call staring episodes--I just kind of space out for a few seconds10-15, most of the time I am fully aware of my surroundings but there have been a couple of occasions that I was unaware that I had just had a staring episode. My question is, Is an eeg always correct in diagnosing seizure activity? Oh I am on klonopin .5 mg twice a day..could this effect the eeg? I am so tired of feeling this way everyday with no answers and I would prefer not to be on this medication if I am not having any seizure activity. One more thing I am very sensitive to florencent lights and noise.

Thank you.

Dear Sadtina,

Unfortunately you are right. EEG are only able to detect seizures during the period of the EEG. Some patient need to be admitted with continuous EEG in order to detect seizure activity. In the other hand if you are not having any more, it is reasonable to just follow you clinically. Your doctor can discuss the possibility of stoping the medication in order to see how you do without.
In relation to the meningioma, it is also probably reasonable to observe it since it is relatively small. I Surgery may be indicated if it grows.

Please let me know if you have any other question.