Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
arachnoid brain cyst

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

arachnoid brain cyst

My little brother who is only 10 was diagnosed of Arachnoid brain cyst. Now he needs to go for Arachnoid brain cyst. Operation-Insertion of left-Peritoneal shunt. local cost is 5 350usd. We really don't know wat to do now as he is gettin headaches n fits now. What can we do now and we are Zimbabweans but can go to South Africa for the surgery, what hospitals or doctor can you recommend? Or rather what else can we do?
Dear tau4date

It is important that you know that some arachnoid cyst do not require surgical treatment. The ones that do need treatment are the ones causing brain compression. If that  is his case then the surgery requires cyst fenestration (opening) or shunt as you said.
I am not familiar with the african system. I am sure they have good neurosurgeons in South Africa that can help. Do you receive Zimbabwe help to go abroad?
No there is no help that we get to go abroad.how much would the surgery be if it were to be done there? Is it possible that maybe I can send you the CT scans and all the reports we got so you can also give us your opinion?
Sure, Please send it to:

Daniel M. Prevedello, M.D.
Department of Neurological Surgery
Director, Minimally Invasive Cranial Surgery Program
The Ohio State University
N-1011 Doan Hall
410 W. 10th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210-1240