Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
cmid

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

cmid
a recent mri showed "moderate periventricular and deep white matter as well as pontine T2/FLAIR hyperintensities are present consistent with chronic microvascular ischemic disease and pontine gliosis". When I asked for an explanation at the end of my appointment, my doctor encouraged me to look it up. I pursued it to my limits, Without writing a book, can you explain?
Dear Bird573,

microvascular ischemic disease:  it is a very common "change" we see in brain MRIs. It increases the incidence with aging.
They are considered very very small areas where the blood supply is not ideal in the deep areas of the brain.