Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
cyst or something worse?

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

cyst or something worse?

I saw a doctor when I was 19 because I had what I felt was a lump at the base of my skull and headaches in my forehead.  The lump didn't hurt, didn't bother me at all, but I felt something was there.  When I asked the Doctor about it, he told me it was a cyst, nothing to worry about, and he would biopsy it if I wanted him to but it would just cost me more for the same diagnosis (great bedside manner).  I was paying cash for the visit and he'd been my mum and dad's doctor for 20+ years, so I took his word for it.  The only thing that bothered me then about the exchange was he added "you may want to get a brain scan when you're older if you continue to have headaches".  I figured it was because my mum has diagnosed migraines and went on about my life.  I should add that my mum has a lump just a smidge smaller than mine in the exact same place.

Fast forward and I'm now 26 today.  The doctor I saw that day has now misdiagnosed three people I know, including both of my parents, with major illnesses they turned out not to have.  I still feel this thing (whatever it is) in the same place, and as far as I can tell it may have grown but not a lot if it did.  I feel slight pressure under the base of the skull, but that's it.  I have neck problems now and every time my chiropractor tells me I have pressure in the area, I get knots in my stomach.  I've been told by friends in the medical field that tumors simply don't grow where I'm finding this thing and it is likely a cyst, but I'm still scared.  I'm seeing a doctor on April 25th but I'm trying to calm myself about it now because I've worked my self into a complete fit.
Tags: worry, Cyst, Neck
Dear Magslw

Let me know how it goes. But they way you described it sounds like something superficial.
Let me know if you have any question.