Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
my mum is wasting away

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

my mum is wasting away

My mum was diagnosied with a meningioma 9 years ago and had successful brain surgery to remove and it all went well. She then soon after developed hydrochephalis but again this was succesfully operated on and recently when she was checked out with an MRI etc they said all was good and the tumor had in fact shrunk and her shunt was working well. What i dont understand is why over the past 9 years has my mother slowly declined in health. She is only 62 but appears to be in her 90's. She is frail, has no appetite and loosing weight, hates to stand up and is usually only awake an average 3 to 4 hours a day. She is on Epilim and aspirin, plus a minor drug for an over active thyroid, but what i dont understand is if everything went so well why is she so ill? Most people I hear about after brain surgery seem to recover well but mum has slowly just gotten worse and worse - yet all her doctors say she is fine.... could it be a bad case of depression? If so what do i do about it and she is wasting away...
Dear Gsoskin,

I have to agree with you that most people do very well after brain surgery.
It is difficult to answer your question in a forum without seeing or examining your mom.
Thinks to check in this situation are: depression and pituitary gland function or other systemic diseases (unrelated).

Thank you