Brain, Pituitary and Skull Base Tumor Forum Expert Forum
premature menopause and adenoma

This forum is for questions, discussions and support relating to brain tumors, pituitary tumors and skull base tumors. Topics include but are not limited to the following: Causes, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

premature menopause and adenoma

I am 37 I was diagnosed with prem menopause 2 years ago. recently I had an MRI a 4.5mm adenoma was found on my pituitary gland the endo did some tests and said it is not doing anything how can it not be a factor in premature menopause? I was told that an FSH tumour is very rare. How does she know that this is not the case with me? All tests were normal except hormones indicating menopause. I have to go back in a few months time after another MRI and blood tests. When does removing it become necessary or does it just stay there? I had a MRI as I mentioned I once I had breast leakage on two occassions my prolactin was a little elevated at one time but now normal.
Dear curls158

The way we differentiate beetween the two is based on your estrogens levels.
When the tumor is producing FSH, we don't see gonadal failure. When FSH and LH increase in menopause, the ovaries are not producing hormones.
I can take a look at your numbers of you want.
Dear Doctor,
Thank you for your response it does answer my question my oestrogen has decreased to about 76 so it looks like my ovaries have definatly failed. So the pituitary tumour is not a factor in this at all? How long does it take for oestrogen levels to go back up again I am taking Yasmin my doctor thought this was the best option. Is there much difference in the oestrogen in this pill and HRT?
Dec 08 FSH 17 Oest 827, Oct 10 FSH 101 Oest 125 Prog 13,Nov 10 FSH 97.8 LH 47.8,Oest 76
I have been on been on different forms of the pill all year why are levels still low? I am get episodes of tiredness, tingling in my hands aches pains and muscle weakness and food intolerences that I did'nt have 3 years ago. I just want to feel normal again.
How about the other hormones? You mentioned your prolactin was elevated?

The use oestrogen pill also should suppress FSH. Have you ever had the alfa subunit measured?

It may confuse you more! If you want, I can review your case.

Thank you