Brain Injuries
My nephew was in a accident. They did not do a brain scan and almost one year later he started to change. My sister took him for a brain scan and they said he has " mild atrophic changes of the left antero-basal temporal fossa /  Mild parenchymal anterior atrophic changes of the left temporal. The doctor told her they can do nothing. Is this true and if not what can be done. He is 23 years old.
It is clear that your nephew has what is called a traumatic brain injury or TBI.  A consult with a Neuropsychologist which would be arranged through a Neurologist, would be helpful for him.  Together they could provide a plan to help your Nephew with long range planning.  Let me also suggest that you consider reading recent news accounts that are occurring with respect to National Football Players in which medical science is finding a large number of players having secondary symptoms as a result of TBI's.  This may help you keep current on treatments plans which may be evolving.
Good luck and God Bless!