Brain (Cerebral) Aneurysm Community
Cerebellar tonsillar ectopia

WELCOME TO ANEURYSM THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Brain Aneurysms which is a weak or thin spot on a blood vessel in the brain that balloons out and fills with blood. The bulging aneurysm can put pressure on a nerve or surrounding brain tissue. It may also leak or rupture, spilling blood into the surrounding tissue (called a hemorrhage). Some cerebral aneurysms, particularly those that are very small, do not bleed or cause other problems. Cerebral aneurysms can occur anywhere in the brain, but most are located along a loop of arteries that run between the underside of the brain and the base of the skull.

Cerebellar tonsillar ectopia

My daughter had an mri done this past Friday.  The impression of the MRI stated that she had cerebellar tonsillar ectopia.  She has a minimal downward extension of the cerebellar tonsils compatible with tonsillar ectopia.  What does this mean?  Is this serious?  What is the treatment?
Hi there. Cerebellar herniation or tonsillar herniation is when the cerebellar tonsils move downward through the foramen magnum causing compression of the lower brainstem and upper cervical spinal cord as they pass through the foramen magnum. Tonsillar herniation of the cerebellum is known as a Chiari malformation. There are three types of chiari malformation and can be incidental findings. Cerebellar ectopia is a term used by radiologists to describe cerebellar tonsils that are low lying but do not meet the radiographic criteria for definition as a Chiari malformation.
Treatment involves removal of the etiological mass and decompressive craniectomy. Brain herniation can cause severe disability or death. The prognosis for a meaningful recovery if visible on CTscan is poor. The patient may become paralysed on the same side as the lesion causing the pressure or damage to parts of brain caused by herniation may cause paralysis on the side opposite the lesion.
Damage to the cardio respiratory centers in medulla oblongata will cause respiratiory and cardiac arrest.
Consult your neurologist immediately for detailed evaluation. Take care.
Hello Dr. Sharma I wish you can guide me.  I will like to know what is the diagnosis for the next impression: 1. Minimal cerebellar tonsillar ectopia as described extending close to 8mm inferior to the inferior border of formamen magnum.  2. Ventricular system in preserved. 3. No enchancing lesions.  I will like to know if this can be considered chiari syndrome or malformation?  I will send you my e-mail address, (***@****) please I will like to know how can I help my daughter and what are the limitations for this condition?  I can not go to a neurologist because in my country we are having problem with the health card.  I'm a single mother, with disability, unemployed  and have no help from no one.  My daughter is only 18 years old and she is in the university. The little I have is not enough to help her, but I desire to help so she can succeed in life, but I need to know what she have?, what are their limitations and how we can I help, or where or who I have to refer for this condition.
What are some of the effects on the rest of the body.  I have this disorder/malformation and what to know if these other things are new symptoms or something else.  Does this effect any other conditions like digestive?  I know that it effects the muscular system through the weakness.
I have CTE and have been going to a chiropractor to realign the frontal magnum and bone below it. Tho there isn't much empirical evidence (my MRI and measurements are being sent to a doctor in NY/ Maryland who is collecting such). They feel very hopeful that the body will slowly heal itself as the brain has room to move back. I wish you well on your journey, but also wish people would look into alternative medicine before allowing butche...doctors to cut into the neck/skull/brain...a prospect which is anything but encouraging. (no offense to doctors as they mean well...just insurance companies winning here).
I am 40 years old and have hemiplegia on my left side, my left foot is paralysed causing foot drop and cannot feel half of my face. I suffer from daily painful migraines that have left me disabled and my Dr says I am post stroke but I want to know what this means.  Please help!

Signs and Symptoms: prev mri 4/22/14.

Additional Comments: pt states left side weakness and foot drop since Jan 2015 after bad migraine attack

TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar MR imaging of the head was performed with and without intravenous gadolinium contrast.

COMPARISON: 04/22/14

FINDINGS: There is no hemorrhage, mass effect or extra-axial fluid collection. There is normal gray-white differentiation. No white matter
abnormality is seen. No abnormal enhancing lesions are seen in the brain. There is cerebellar tonsillar ectopia, but the cerebellar tonsils measure
less than 5 mm below the foramen magnum. There is crowding at the foramen magnum. The orbits are clear. Mild ethmoid mucosal thickening is noted.
There is a Tornwaldt cyst in the nasopharynx. There are normal carotid and vertebrobasilar flow voids. There is no acutely restricted diffusion.

Mild cerebellar tonsillar ectopia. This causes crowding at the foramen magnum.

Otherwise, normal MRI of the brain.

Mild mucosal thickening in the ethmoid air cells