Brain (Cerebral) Aneurysm Community
Frontal brain lobe question

WELCOME TO ANEURYSM THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Brain Aneurysms which is a weak or thin spot on a blood vessel in the brain that balloons out and fills with blood. The bulging aneurysm can put pressure on a nerve or surrounding brain tissue. It may also leak or rupture, spilling blood into the surrounding tissue (called a hemorrhage). Some cerebral aneurysms, particularly those that are very small, do not bleed or cause other problems. Cerebral aneurysms can occur anywhere in the brain, but most are located along a loop of arteries that run between the underside of the brain and the base of the skull.

Frontal brain lobe question

My maternal grandmother, uncle, and great grandfather all had cerebral aneurysms. My doctor advised  me to have an MRI done since you are born with cerebral aneurysms. I had one done, and there were no cerebral aneurysms. However, the doctor told me the MRI showed the frontal lobe of my brain was smaller than normal. I was so stunned I didn't know what to say. I couldn't think, and the doctor didn't seem very comfortable about telling me this information. I left the office without asking a single question. Now I am afraid to ask what this means to me. What does it mean if the frontal lobe is smaller than normal? What are the long term implications? My maternal grandfather has Parkinsons. Is there a connection?
Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Frontal lobe volume is smaller in persons with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. There have been studies proving that brain regions involved in self-regulation show difference with those of controls. Smaller frontal lobe white matter volumes are also seen in depressed adolescents. Frontal lobes are involved in motor function, problem solving, memory, language, social and sexual behavior and are very vulnerable to injury. The left lobe deals with language related motion and right with non-verbal abilities. Take care.